Presonus Studiolive, experiences?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Presonus Studiolive, experiences?

Post by lancebug » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:50 am

I have been eyeing this thing for a bit, since it would be a good match based on the scale of my operation and the portability, both for doing location recording and live mixing would be a real bonus for what I am doing locally. At this point there is not much in the way of solid discussion (anywhere) about sound quality and characteristics. There is especially no posting anywhere about the useability of the compression and eq. Not a ton out there about the relative quality of the preamps either, although it seems like they have a fair amount of gain and headroom. Does anyone have any hands on experience with these, or know anyone that has?

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:38 pm

"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:10 pm

Cool, I read your post earlier. I am hoping someone has had a chance to do some critical listening as well. Thanks for the heads up though.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:56 am

Bumpers, having a very hard time finding concrete personal experiences with this thing. Maybe I just need to wait 6 months and try again.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:47 pm

I've used it about 6 times live and I love it to death. it sounds great, easy, compact, blah blah, go BUY one.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:03 pm

Good enough for recording or just for live sound?

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:52 pm

Never used it in a recording situation. Same preamps as their interfaces, they claim it uses the same converters in a rosetta 800, but there are more factors involved aside from converters that make shit sound good. Depends on the level of quality you're looking for. I'm sure it competes with m-audio, 003 stuff, and probably stomps on MOTU boxes.

daveg62
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by daveg62 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:21 am

I've been looking at this closely, probably going to buy one in a little while, The videos and workflow look great is all I can say. Haven't heard one to know how it sounds though. Also haven't read or heard many complaints at all so that is telling me something. I could really put this to good use especially in a live situation.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:43 am

I felt it sounded better than my allen heath mix wizard and allen heath GL2400 series boards. It fell short from a Yamaha LS9 in terms of headroom and increased low end, but we're talking 2K compared to 12K.

BlueMoonshine
gettin' sounds

Post by BlueMoonshine » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:35 am

I didn't actually get to put my hands on the board, but an acquaintance just picked up 2 StudioLive boards for his live sound production rig and brought one to our show last night -- he ran our live sound from it and recorded at the same time: each track plus a quick two-track mix.

For a new piece of kit, he had us up and running in no time and the playbacks of the two-track I heard at the end of the show were startlingly good.

I'll be getting the raw tracks this week -- I'll report back when I can do more critical listening. But my first impression is "WANT."

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:30 am

you should go talk to paul henry. he's got one set up at his office/store in st. louis park... and you can check it out hands on.

paulhenryproaudio.com i think

i want one too.

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:04 am

Over on PSW there's alsot of users who like it. There are many who simply can't get over the lack of flying faders and insist it's not a real Pro mixer. It seems like most of those who actually own or have used one actually like it.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:51 am

For use out recording a live show you might not miss the flying faders, but in studio you WILL miss them.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:42 pm

When I use it live, I can't say I've ever once said I missed flying faders. There are no layers to deal with. Recalling a session, there is a fader locate button that tells you where your faders were. It takes 2 seconds to throw them back where they need to be. AND, while your in fader locate mode, no volume changes are made until you exit fader locate. Kinda cool.

cfMC
pushin' record

Post by cfMC » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:51 am

I haven't used this but just wanted to say I will never buy anything from PreSonus ever again. I had a few of their cheap tube preamps and compressors a few years ago and every single one of them eventually in turn caught on fire and died. and they were noisy before they suicided