Henry Hirsch - Lenny Kravitz - Helios console and twitter

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tubemonkey35
pushin' record

Henry Hirsch - Lenny Kravitz - Helios console and twitter

Post by tubemonkey35 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:49 pm

Hey all, I just cut an analog record (2" tape, 1/2" mix ) with Henry Hirsch. For those of you that don't know of him, he's was the guy behind the console for all the cool Lenny Kravitz stuff, and many other recordings. I thought I'd share with you that's he's on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/henryhirsch

It was an amazing experience and his 140 year old church studio is incredible; the Helios console was fantastic. Henry produced our record, and performed on it too (Bass, and some Keys). Henry is a wonderful Producer, Arranger, and Engineer.

Our record with Henry will be out in a few weeks.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:29 am

Very cool. Did you track to the 3M deck?

tubemonkey35
pushin' record

Post by tubemonkey35 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:46 am

drumsound wrote:Very cool. Did you track to the 3M deck?
Yeah we tracked to the 3M M79 tape deck and then mixed down to the 1/2" two track. It was an all analog record.

I took lots of HiDef video footage of the sessions.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:17 pm

tubemonkey35 wrote:
Yeah we tracked to the 3M M79 tape deck and then mixed down to the 1/2" two track. It was an all analog record.

There's another way?

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:36 pm

drumsound wrote:
tubemonkey35 wrote:

There's another way?
Classic Tony.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Re: Henry Hirsch - Lenny Kravitz - Helios console and twitte

Post by Bro Shark » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:46 pm

tubemonkey35 wrote:all the cool Lenny Kravitz stuff
I'm glad you clarified, because I immediately thought of all the awful, mind-numbing/want-to-kill-myself Lenny Kravitz stuff I've ever heard.

tubemonkey35
pushin' record

Post by tubemonkey35 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:55 pm

drumsound wrote:
tubemonkey35 wrote:

There's another way?
lol! on another note, his tracking room is 70'L x 40'W by about 35-40' high; the place is really beautiful.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm

tarblackvomit wrote:
I'm glad you clarified, because I immediately thought of all the awful, mind-numbing/want-to-kill-myself Lenny Kravitz stuff I've ever heard.
I had a similar reaction, and then that terrible American Woman cover somehow came on the radio at work, re-enforcing the mid-numbing sudicidal thoughts. I chose not to act on them luckily, and simply changed the station. Then Tom Petty healed my wounds. I won't back down either, my friend.

But seriously, looks like a cool stuido at least:
http://www.henryhirsch.com/Main/The_New_Studio.html

tubemonkey35
pushin' record

Post by tubemonkey35 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:54 pm

Here's Henry at his Helios console.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:27 am

ott0bot wrote:
tarblackvomit wrote:
I had a similar reaction, and then that terrible American Woman cover somehow came on the radio at work, re-enforcing the mid-numbing sudicidal thoughts. I chose not to act on them luckily, and simply changed the station. Then Tom Petty healed my wounds. I won't back down either, my friend.

That 'American Woman' cover is genuinely mind-numbing and I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff he's done in the last decade is pretty much the same way, but I've gotta say that I have a soft spot for his first record - 'Let Love Rule'. I totally enjoyed that record way more than I ever thought I would...a guilty pleasure of mine. Worth checking out before you completely write the man off.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:32 am

ott0bot wrote:
tarblackvomit wrote:

Lenny should be embarassed by that cover. Randy Bockman and Burton Cummings should be allowed and encouraged to give him regular beatings for that!

Henry on the other hand seems totally cool. That Helios with the 3M over his shoulder, soooo cool. It makes me want to record Stones covers all day long, and Who covers all night!

tubemonkey35
pushin' record

Post by tubemonkey35 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:00 am

centurymantra wrote:
ott0bot wrote:
tarblackvomit wrote:

That 'American Woman' cover is genuinely mind-numbing and I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff he's done in the last decade is pretty much the same way, but I've gotta say that I have a soft spot for his first record - 'Let Love Rule'. I totally enjoyed that record way more than I ever thought I would...a guilty pleasure of mine. Worth checking out before you completely write the man off.
I'm sorry guys, but this post is more about Henry and my experience with him during our record. I used Lenny as an identifier for those who don't know of Henry's; considering his success with that artist and a good chunk of his body of work being with him, it made sense.

In working with Henry Hirsch, I truly found a passionate person fully dedicated to music and the recording of it. His philosophies for everything from the concept of analog recording and the psychology for how it affects an artist's approach to the material, and all the technical things behind mic selection, and placement etc... really was ear/eye-opening.

Henry is also a producer, composer, and arranger. He's very sensitive to the song and it's direction; it's as if he hears at an entirely different level. The moment he heard our material, he zeroed in on where our music was coming from and never lost focus. He's all about the melody, lyric, and arrangement first; everything else is downstream from there.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:33 am

Post some more pics if you have 'em.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:24 am

I apologize for the derail, couldn't resist. Does seem like a great studio, let's get back on topic.

tubemonkey35
pushin' record

Post by tubemonkey35 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:35 pm

Meriphew wrote:Post some more pics if you have 'em.
I do have some more pics, but mostly HiDef video; I will post that stuff soon.