izotope ozone 4 - mastering software

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ProGanks
audio school graduate

izotope ozone 4 - mastering software

Post by ProGanks » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:02 pm

hey guys.

i'm currently trying to get into home and self-mastering, and right now i'm using izotope ozone 4. there are so many presets, and i'm not sure which would be best to use for which instrument, etc?

does anyone have any experience with this program and does anyone routinely use certain presets for a certain application or instrument?

could anyone help me out?

thanks a lot. :)

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:15 pm

Been using Ozone 3 since early 2005. I NEVER EVER work off of presets. I absolutely can't stand stand the presets in Ozone.

Match EQ between tracks (correct if needed), some peak limiting, maybe some mix reverb as glue (7% wet), dither, and you're done. Sometimes I need to use Multi-band Compression in conjunction with some EQ, but very much sparingly).

Hope this helps!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:28 pm

Forget presets. They're there to show what the plug can do. Basically worthless otherwise.

Listen, do. A preset can't tell you what you're hearing.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

30Peak
pluggin' in mics

Post by 30Peak » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:47 pm

I have both 3 and 4 and disagree completely.

I go through a few presets to see what the software's 'idea of (insert preset name)' is, and often times one will work so well that I'll work off it. I dislike the harmonic enhancer and rarely use the spacial enhancer. Otherwise, I think it's a pretty intuitive piece of plug, and often is great for bus drums and acoustic piano as well.

I mastered these two with Ozone and am happier with them sonically than the last release I 'sent out to a guru'.