Laptop/mobile recording advice

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Laptop/mobile recording advice

Post by curtiswyant » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:29 am

Ok guys, I need a little advice on location recording and laptop interfaces. Right now I have a desktop with a Delta 1010 and an older laptop (1.6ghz, 512mb RAM) with a Tascam US122 USB interface. I'm using a Hill Multimix for pres. I want to get an 8in/8out card that I can use with a laptop and, depending how things go, my desktop PC too.
Budget is not really an issue although I'd like to keep the soundcard under $1000. I figure my options are either get a slightly better laptop and something like a RME Multiface (opinions?) and only use it for tracking, then transfer tracks to my desktop for mixing. But I think I'd prefer to get a very good laptop and use it tracking and mixing.

So anyway, does anyone have experience or suggestions on laptops and interfaces? I've been eyeing the Multiface for awhile but I'm open to other options. I currently run Nuendo in Windows XP and I'm not sure how I feel about changing operating systems.

Bryantx512
gettin' sounds

Post by Bryantx512 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:27 pm

I can say my Echo Audiofire 12 works well with a laptop running a 1.8 GHz proc. I think the Echo is really clean. You can get a new one for $600 or less. I do recommend upping your memory to 2GB.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:25 am

I've been using a MOTU 828 mk2 firewire with my Sony Vaio notebook. It just works, and its quite nice to disconnect the firewire cable, change to standard wavedrivers and take the mix to the potty.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:56 am

Unfortunately I'm going to need a new laptop regardless. My Dell is maxed out at 512MB RAM and only has a 30GB HD!

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:40 am

FWIW, I would stay away from Presonus gear. The drivers (32 bit and 64 bit) were terrible for quite a while after being released, until earlier this year. Also, I am 1 of 3 close friends that used Presonus interfaces, and all of them fried after about a year. They had Firepods, and I have a Firestudio Project. Let out a squeal and random LEDs lit up.

2c
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

dcsimon
studio intern

Post by dcsimon » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:23 am

Based on a little reasearch I've done as of late, It is tough to say no to some of the refurbished mac books (pro?) that appear from time to time in the apple store. I feel as though it is difficult to find a laptop with the specs and portability of those mac books.
Even if you prefer windows, just install XP on the thing.

Also, I have found that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find PC laptops with firewire built in.

Just my thoughts.
Problem? Sounds fine to me.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:35 am

I never use the built in firewire, I use a known good firewire card.

edit - 10/28 - i just tested my zed r16 on my onboard 4 pin Fw on laptop, works fine.
Last edited by antilog on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:18 pm

Despite antilog's experience, I've had my three Firepods for going on four years and never had a problem with stability or the hardware itself.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

AK Audio
gettin' sounds

Post by AK Audio » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:12 pm

I'm a long-time Mac user (not trying to convert anyone, just a disclaimer), and I mainly use ProTools & Digi hardware. However, on occasion I've use the MOTU gear and have been quite pleased! The 896 mkII is pretty great, and I like it much better than the mkIII. Likewise, the 828 is pretty solid especially if you already have outboard pre's.

You can pick these units up for pretty cheap used, then get them modified for considerably better results by Black Lion Audio. Two of my friends have had theirs modified and are thrilled with the results. If you're thrifty you can probably get an 896 mkII, the mod, and everything shipped for around $850 or less.

Best of luck with whatever route you go.

Studio Steve
pluggin' in mics

Post by Studio Steve » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:28 pm

I use a Macbook (2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 240 GB HD) which I picked up from a guy on Craigslist for $800 used, and it's worked really well so far. I've had a Presonus Inspire that I've used with a Mackie VLZ mixer for my project studio and some live recordings. No problems with the computer freezing or anything, I use Logic Pro 8. I just bought a MOTU 828 mkII. I've been told these make less of a draw on your computer's processor or RAM or something because they have some memory built in. Not sure I'm clear on what the exact feature is but something to that effect...anyone know more about this?