USB Mic immediate playback at the wrong speed

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

madrex
pluggin' in mics

USB Mic immediate playback at the wrong speed

Post by madrex » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:52 pm

Ok here's one I've never dealt with before... a friend of mine bought a USB microphone at my recommendation, as he is a non musical/recording background guy who writes lyrics and wants to practice putting them to music tracks on his computer with Cakewalk Sonar 7... so he bought a Nady Audio USB Mic, USB-24M , i helped him set it up and we tried recording and everything seemed to be working fine, but as soon as i stopped the record the file visibly shortened to about half the length and the playback sounded like the chipmunks. I then spent an hour or two trying all the different setting changes i could think ... sample rate... bit depth... driver settings... i/o... you name it. Chipmunks, and nothin' but. Has anyone dealt with this USB mic stuff and encountered this? I figure there's got to be some solution I'm just in the dark about. I have used Sonar 6 for a bunch of projects on my home studio machine and know the program well, so I'm thinking it has to be something related to the setup of the mic itself?

madrex
pluggin' in mics

Post by madrex » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:38 am

still no solution on this one... but i was thinking about the change in speeds and was wondering if these mics are set to a specific sample rate? I know for some reason I can't get Sonar to run anything but 44.1 khz... does anyone else have this problem?... i was thinking if the mic was at 96 and sonar was at 44.1 maybe thats why the audio is playing back fast? i'm not around the mic right now but just got to thinking about this problem today... if anyone knows the sample rate info on usb mics please post!

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:39 pm

Looks like it does sample at 96k

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=272015

Hard to believe that there's not some way to use it at 44.1 tho'.

Edit: Found the manual on Nady's site. Could this be less helpful?

http://www.nady.com/manuals/microphones/usb24m.pdf
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:30 pm

I'm using an older version of Sonar, and I don't really know what's changed.

The symptoms you've described sound a lot like what sometimes happens when converting recorded audio to a "Groove Clip". The software tries to figure out how many "beats" are in the audio event. From there it figures out the events "natural tempo" and then stretches or shrinks the audio to fit the tempo of the project. In my version of Sonar, these Groove Clips have rounded off ends. You should be able to go in and change the clips tempo to match the project, or change the project tempo to match the clip. Better would be to take it out of Groove Clip Record Mode. Can't tell you how to do that...