HELP! Can't find 3.5mm-1/4" stereo screw-on headphone p

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Aj
pushin' record

HELP! Can't find 3.5mm-1/4" stereo screw-on headphone p

Post by Aj » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:14 am

I searched online ten different ways. Even went to Radio Shack (I can dream, right?).

So, where do you buy those little gold screw-on type headphone adapters that turn a 3.5mm male stereo plug into a 1/4" male stereo one? I've got a bunch of Sony 7506 headphones, and I keep losing, breaking, etc. the ones that came with. I specifically want the screw-on type...

Help... my Google'ing has never failed me before, but this has me stumped. Tried MCM Electronics, Parts Express, Markertek...

Aj
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:28 am

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:42 pm

Good man... thanks.

Now I have to find somebody who sells these cheap. Almost ten bucks shipped for a little plug adaptor. And I thought the headphones were expensive!

edit: Looks like Sennheiser sells them from their online store for $2.56.
Last edited by Aj on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Aj wrote:Good man... thanks.

Now I have to find somebody who sells these cheap. Almost ten bucks shipped for a little plug adaptor. And I thought the headphones were expensive!
Only $10... that's cheaper than dealer pricing on the official Sony adapters.

Beyer used to make the same exact thing and sell them for about $6, but I think they've discontinued them. At work we bought a couple dozen when we found that deal.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:54 pm

You know, you could just buy some $3 TRS plugs and solder them on in place of that 1/8" plug. How many of your fleet of headphones really need to have 1/8"?

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:07 pm

Hey Scott!

It's been forever, but you may recall you racked my PM1000 channels back when you were still living in A2. Hope you're well (in Chicago, right?) Those PM1000's still get used all the time at my studio.

Anyway, I thought about chopping and soldering on new plugs. Could do that (I'm quite a bit better with a hot iron since the last time we saw each other :)). But I heard that some of these headphone manufacturers coat their leads in some sort of chemical that makes it hard to solder/flux. Part of planned obsolescence I was told. Maybe that's just an old wives' tale or weird gear tech urban legend?

In any case, I just ordered four fresh adapters from Sennheiser for about $16 shipped. Not too bad, considering.

Aj (Adam)

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:01 am

Since soldering has been mentioned, if you really need them cheaper (I couldn't believe they cost that much for something that's free with so many things) why not make some TRS-1/8" really short cords? It may not be the most elegant solution but I'd definitely be making a bunch of them before spending $6 a pop on the adaptors.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:21 am

Hey Adam, there's nothing really difficult about it - I've seen plenty of Sony headphones with TRS plugs soldered on. At the most you'll have some kind of lacquer coating the wires, which you can burn off with a butane lighter.

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:47 am

Thanks for the lighter tip! I'm always amazed at all the little electronics tips/secrets I keep picking up here (and elsewhere on the Net). Someone should stick them all in a book or something.

In retrospect, I think I should just lop off the ends and solder new plugs. Then I won't keep losing the adapters (last one broke off inside a headphone amplifier). I'll put it on my list of electronics tasks (right after I finish resoldering the snake box jacks; rewiring the Rhodes; building the new piano XLRs; and fixing my son's broken DS screen... sigh, I need to clone myself).