WARNING PT UPGRADE 8.0.1 RENDERS B4II USELESS!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

billkahler
gimme a little kick & snare

WARNING PT UPGRADE 8.0.1 RENDERS B4II USELESS!

Post by billkahler » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:28 am

Got the upgrade message for Pro Tools 8.0.1 LE and after upgrading my system locked up because the Native Instruments B4II is not compatible with the upgrade. Had to drag it out of my plugins folder. The worst part is N.I. is NO LONGER SUPPORTING THIS PLUG AND OTHERS. Arrggh! More money wasted on software that now is obsolete. I bought the B4 originally, then paid for the upgrade (less than a year ago) and now it's vapor. I will never buy another N.I. product again. I realize it's difficult to keep up with all the system upgrades etc. but isn't that what a company is in for when they go into this business? I am disgusted with this lack of support from N.I.!
billkahler.com (musician)
prettygoodgig.com (conversations with musical people podcast)
ufofarm.com (organic electronica)

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:04 pm

That's not good news at all... I have yet to install the upgrade. Are you going to try to revert, or are you just not using B4 anymore?

billkahler

Post by billkahler » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:43 pm

Not sure what I'm going to do - I have heard that the new PT organ is really close to the B4 so I may try that. I also have the B4 loaded in my Macbook so I can still use it as an instrument instead of a plugin. Not quite as convenient but I like to run it through an amp anyway to get some air in there.

N.I. has also discontinued some of their other stuff to including Akoustik Piano and the Pro 53. . .

I know one thing N.I. will never get another cent from me.

kelldammit
audio school

Post by kelldammit » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:08 pm

something else to watch out for with the 8.01 update...if you do a clean install, the 8.01 update installs new pace drivers. some installers (sonnox specifically) see these newer drivers as being LOWER rev numbers (last version was .9, new is .10), and causes an endless loop of "this version is too old to use with our plugs, we'll update to a workable version"...it does this, reboots, and repeats add infinitum.
the only way around this is to install your ilok plugs first, then 8.01.

that's on vista32, btw

kell
--
sync is for sissies!

acjetnut
pushin' record

Post by acjetnut » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:32 am

Crap! I hadn't realized that N.I. discontinued B4II. Why on earth would they do that? It is a great and seemingly very popular plug. I used is on a recent album that had tracks with a real organ, and you would never tell the difference. Even if they only did maintenance upgrades...

wtf

BradG
pushin' record

Post by BradG » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:40 am

Yeah, I've kept my Tiger startup drive with Pro Tools 7 for just this reason. I really like 8 but after installing it, I realized it was gonna cost me over $500 to make all my plugs compatible. (I've got NI Komplete, BFD, and Autotune 4). In fact, my IK Multimedia stuff (Amplitube 2, Ampeg SVX & T-Racks plugins) were not working at first either, but that last "urgent" PT8 update seems to have fixed that.

Because I upgraded to Leopard just for PT8, I had installed a brand new HD in my Mac for it. Now usually prep tracks on the Tiger drive (using BFD and Battery to trigger drums, and Autotune) and then mix using PT8 on the Leopard drive.

billkahler

Post by billkahler » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:31 pm

Brad, that is a great idea.

You know it would be nice if a company could even give you some kind of notice. You buy thei software and register etc. and one day get an email that says something like: "We are going to be discontinuing B4, Akoustik, Pro 53, etc. in a few months. Please check for compatibility before upgrading your DAW as we will not be providing upgrades to this software after September1."

Instead, it's like buying a fake Rolex from a guy on the street. A couple days later, the watch stops working and the guy is gone. (Thanks for the money but don't expect us to do anything past this point!)

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:09 am

I just don't get it - why was B4 discontinued? Isn't it the premiere organ software?

Something doesn't compute. Maybe someone with insider NI knowledge can post here?
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here

billkahler

Post by billkahler » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:36 am

Nobody who has it can understand! It's fantastic sounding. Kleenex = tissue and B4 = Hammond. (At least 98.5%.)

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:59 pm

Pro Tools B3 sounds terrific. I use it all the time.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Re: WARNING PT UPGRADE 8.0.1 RENDERS B4II USELESS!

Post by leigh » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:07 pm

billkahler wrote:Got the upgrade message for Pro Tools 8.0.1 LE and after upgrading my system locked up because the Native Instruments B4II is not compatible with the upgrade.
Had me sweatin' that for a minute... for what it's worth, I just checked mine and it's working OK.

I'm running PT 8.0.1 M-Powered, on a Mac 10.5.8 system. Do you think the difference is LE vs. M-Powered?

My B4II version is 2.0.3.009, which I believe is the most recent version.

billkahler

Post by billkahler » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:53 am

Glad yours is still working. Could be the M-Powered VS LE thing. Pro Tools hung up on the NI B4 when loading for me and once I took it out of the plug in folder everything worked again. While I think the PT organ is OK, I must say I was really spoiled by the B4.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:53 am

Here's a possible work around: use a VST to RTAS wrapper and run the VST version of B4.
Prog out with your cog out.

billkahler

Post by billkahler » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:17 pm

Man, another great idea! That's why I love this forum so much. Thanks for the input.

studilaroche
studio intern

Post by studilaroche » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:19 am

I'm successfully running NI B4II on a PT HD 8.0.1/MacPro rig. In fact, I just double checked and it pulls up and plays just fine.
Ben