Tascam 688 issue

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Crocoduck5000
ass engineer

Tascam 688 issue

Post by Crocoduck5000 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:14 am

I was lucky enough to score a Tascam 688 for $100 on Craigslist. All the 10 channels work, the midi functions work (not that I use them, but I tried), and it sounds fine.

The problem is, when recording or playing, after 10 seconds, it will just simply stop. The machine doesn't turn off, it's just as if some gnome inside the machine is messing with me and pressing the stop button.

For reference, I'm using Type II tapes, 30min (15min at 3 3/4 ips) which are unlabeled but I believe they are Maxell or something (they were given to me awhile back by my old boss at a studio I worked at, and I remember them being some sort of brand name from the box). It does it though no matter what tape I put in there, whether they're cheap ones or what.

Any idea what it could possibly be? I'm a 22-year old who's discovering this old technology so I don't have much experience in the tape world (other than recording cassettes using a boombox back in the 90s).

Crocoduck5000
ass engineer

Post by Crocoduck5000 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:48 am

I may have found the problem http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=3237150

I'm at work so it'll have to wait...unless anyone else has a similar story with a different issue.

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm

Take it to a tech. I had the exact same problem with my 238 and thought it was an easy fix based on what I read online. Turns out it was a problem with the power supply and the tech (great guy in Boston who's worked on those Tascams since they were new) said that it was a problem with the power supply and that it was fixable but time-consuming and expensive. Have someone check it out and find out if it's worth fixing.
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:34 pm

Also, check the cassette tapes you are using making sure the roller wheels are turning free. ( this happens sometimes new out of the package).. I remember having a similar problem back when I was using a cassette recorder. The wheels would free spin for about 15/20 seconds and stop as it was binding the tape as if it had reached the end of the tape..Good luck...