Tom Dowd documentary on Pitchfork TV this week

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:45 pm

You think someone would be good after helping develop the Manhatten Project as a teenager...but nooooo...Tom Dowd has to go and pioneer every recording technique and technology still used today and produce Layla.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:46 pm

AstroDan wrote:You think someone would be good after helping develop the Manhatten Project as a teenager...but nooooo...Tom Dowd has to go and pioneer every recording technique and technology still used today and produce Layla.
Yeah, what a jerk :roll:

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:16 pm

I didn't think I needed a joking emoticon, that was so blatant.

Tom Dowd is my hero.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:24 pm

RANT WARNING/

A different take, just to start a conversation:

LANGUAGE OF MUSIC is cool, and fun, and yeah, really good for the many people out there who don't know what a big deal Tom Dowd was -- seriously.

But I find it painful and maddening that they ask him so little about the How of what he did. And now it's too late to ask him. I'm not talking about a technical discussion, just getting to watch him run a session or recount the specifics.

For example, there's film footage out there somewhere of an Aretha session at the later NYC Atlantic studio -- might be some in Dowd's doc, definitely a few seconds of it in the Ahmet Ertegun doc. ARRGGH! Why isn't every inch of that footage included as a bonus in the Dowd movie?

There's a whole era of Big Music History dying off before our eyes, someone should be catching it while they can. Bernie Worrell barely TALKS in his doc, it's all David Byrne talking about Bernie.

End of rant/
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra