Superlux Microphones

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AudioHipster
audio school graduate

Superlux Microphones

Post by AudioHipster » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:05 am

AudioHipster has been supporting artist, and keeping analog tape rolling, recently we came across Superlux headphones and microphones, and was very impressed.. we would like to get your thoughts on these products as we are offering them to our customers. and please visit www.audiohipster.com as I will be adding clips and info, and putting them to the test in the studio the next mic we will test will be the R102 ribbon mic. Thanks Doyen

Tape will respond to instantaneous sounds at any time, where digital forces these sounds to line up with the position of a sample.
There?s the good the bad and the overpriced but the worst is the
overpriced junk we find flooding today?s market.
?Drink better beer brew your own.?
AudioHipster

AudioHipster
audio school graduate

Superlux R102 Ribbon

Post by AudioHipster » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:44 pm

I think every engineer has a mic fetish I know I do, and it is great to find great sounding mic's that are worth more then the MSRP, I did record the R102 and a Superlux CM-H8A on Piano in mid/side configuration, the sound and clarity did amaze me. Also tested their ECM 999 reference mic's as overheads give a listen they pick up the kick like you are in front of the kit, take a listen: http://www.myspace.com/audiohipsterdoyenkeaton
My next post I want to talk about what is inside your mic, it could be shocking or you could get a laugh. Thanks for supporting the analog world... AudioHipster
(please note this was for sample of said mic only, I am no drummer or piano player)
Last edited by AudioHipster on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
AudioHipster

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Why does this read like spam?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:58 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Why does this read like spam?
tastes like it too!

i just can't wait for "L8R" with the laughs promised!
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

AudioHipster
audio school graduate

Spam is for those who drink bud light

Post by AudioHipster » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:14 pm

AudioHipster is only a Google away, and has nothing to hide, I have own a recording studio for years, and I support musicians and the analog world we record on a MCI Sony JH-24 Deep Purple and many others recorded on this MCI, and I disclose all my info and to support a analog studio and offer in/house 2 inch for no up-charge I sell Pro Audio but not just any just Pro, only AudioHipster Approved. yes you can buy Bud Light :>) but once you try a good abby you will wonder why you wasted your money. I also work for my wife and sit here for hours and build web pages ad's etc.... so before you call AudioHipster something I have not disclosed. Call me up or better yet bring your band and I will Record your Band for a case of Urthel. and if you don't have a Frank Zappa It's Free, I will pay for the Abby. If you still think this is spam... you won't after you Record at AudioHipster... BTW Thanks I finely got a response to this post. Doyen Keaton
AudioHipster

cale w
gettin' sounds

Re: Spam is for those who drink bud light

Post by cale w » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:10 pm

AudioHipster wrote:...I will Record your Band for a case of Urthel. and if you don't have a Frank Zappa It's Free, I will pay for the Abby.
eh?

This would be easier to take seriously if reading it didn't make me feel insane...

...or want a sandwich.

AudioHipster
audio school graduate

The post is asking for your thoughts on Superlux?

Post by AudioHipster » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:54 pm

Wow thanks for the compliment, My next post that I am writing was meant for Gearslutz to get some response and have more fun while enjoying a good Abby and getting higher then a hoot, but I am sure it will put you to sleep. but just incase it sparked your interest it will be called... What is inside your microphone??? maybe I am new to this posting but I am thinking this is Gear Talk and the Question is Superlux your thoughts have you tried them if not please go to the what's in your microphone post soon to be released. Cuz this is turning into a Abby ale post. Thanks for the feedback. Doyen
Last edited by AudioHipster on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
AudioHipster

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:27 pm

This thread feels like a bad trip..

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:58 pm

Am I in college again?

AudioHipster
audio school graduate

Superlux

Post by AudioHipster » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Hey this post was to get honest feedback on microphones i have found to be very well made, and to see if anyone else has had the results i have had in the studio... wake up America expect more demand more and pay less. AudioHipster rolls tape and the few experiencing it will testify... to the experience.
Last edited by AudioHipster on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
AudioHipster

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Re: The post is asking for your thoughts on Superlux?

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:38 pm

AudioHipster wrote:My next post that I am writing was meant for Gearslutz to get some response from the Fletcher himself or other distributor label makers....
Is this not the definition of Troll? Why am I still posting in this thread? I think, more than anything, it's the bad spelling/grammar and the name "OddEeeeoHeepstar" that make this shit read like spam. Spam as troll bait.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:06 pm

@AudioHipster

You're serious? For real? No kiddin'?

I feel like I'm on some hidden camera show or something like that...

Dude, really... I've heard those mics. They sound a LOT like all the other inexpensive "me too" Chinese mics out there to me. If I was on a REALLY tight budget and didn't have any other options, I MIGHT consider one. For a starter kit, it would be ok I guess.

Fortunately, reality has quite a few more options... and I'm not looking for a $129 M149-killer, or whatever. (as if there's even one out there anyway... :roll: )

Very entertaining, though...

EDIT: Oh, yeah... I'm sure Fletcher over on GS would rip you to shreds anyway. Probably not a great idea to call him out like that.
insert witty comment here...

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:29 pm

I'm thinking parody. But I'm not sure what it's meant to be a parody of. Audio hipsters, I guess.

AudioHipster
audio school graduate

Superlux

Post by AudioHipster » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:36 am

Hi please except my apologies if I offended anyone with my rants and for the label making comment, it was not meant as sounded as influenced by the Abby. and thanks I found the edit button, but I see a tad too late. (Please scratch the quote). the opening up of a CM-H8A and testing it in the studio was not to cut down, higher priced products, that to me are worth every penny, is a API worth the money you bet just run a good mic thru it and wow you have a smile. and most of the high end mic's are impeccable, and if you have the money why not. but all that being said their are amazing products being made in Shanghai, and some are so good they get similar results, and affordable to the mass market. and why would take your Earthworks in to the field on a rainy day when you can take a couple of ECM-999 and get similar results. or would you put your M149 on your when your toms when you can use a V63M and I am sorry in the mix you are not going to hear much of a difference. BTW Musicians Friend has the V63M for $59 a good mic worth 4 times that or more. Thanks for reading Doyen
AudioHipster

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Re: Superlux

Post by jgimbel » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:22 am

AudioHipster wrote:or would you put your M149 on your when your toms when you
While the lack of decent punctuation and elementary-school level spacing/paragraphs is distracting, the thing that is really making this difficult to read is the complete lack of certain words/leaving off the end of a statement. Maybe I'm not getting some inside joke or something, but one thing I've loved about this board is that people here for the most part seem to at least write half intelligibly, even people who have little idea of what they're talking about.

Also as far as I know the majority of these mics, among other products, are being manufactured in other cities in China, not so much Shanghai. My father does a lot of relation stuff with China, and I actually got a chance to go over there with him this past summer. A lot is being made in more industrial cities like Guangzhou, while Shanghai tends to be more just the business dealings, as well as really small villages like DeHua near Xiamen that the people often have little idea of what they're making. Outsourcing there is great for their economy, but I'm surprised we get a pretty high rate of functional mics out of these parts. I wonder how many mics the companies end up sending back in quality control versus keepers.