Need drumset recommendations...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AlexHerd
takin' a dinner break

Need drumset recommendations...

Post by AlexHerd » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:13 am

I play drums, I think I'm pretty decent, but I've never been really, er, into drums, in that I've never taken lessons or read magazines or books ect... So I'm looking to buy a drum set and I have no idea where to start. I will definitely go play some stuff, but I want to have an idea of where to begin... Help.

I have a Pacific CX fusion kit. It was nice when I was playing more funkish type stuff, but now that I'm playing more rock/indie stuff, it just doesn't work for me. I really like Bryan Devendorf from The National, Doug MacGregor from the Constantines, Ken Coomer's Wilco stuff, and really dig Bazan on Pedro the Lion's Achilles Heel (I know he plays a Mlasko kit on that record which is way out of my price range). Lookin to spend like 7-800... I know thats not much, but I figure I can find something that better suits me than the CX... Thanks for any help!

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:39 am

I'm not sure what others will have to say about i as I can't say I've used a wide variety of kits, but I was in a similar situation to you, and I got the Pearl VBX birch drums, which I bought new for the price you're working with. I guess they've gone up a bit now but you could probably find some selling a practically new set for that price. I've had them for almost two years and I love them. I play everything from softer acoustic style music to noise rock to metal, and I haven't had much trouble fitting the drums with all of it. The toms and kick are very versatile. I hate the "birch has an already-EQed" sound promotion of these, but I do have to say I rarely need much EQ at all when recording this kit.

The thing that really made me want to respond to this post was the music you were talking about. It's funny, when I first got my kit, I spend a couple weeks listening to Achilles Heel while playing on the kit, just because of how well the drums fit with that. I'd say Wilco kind of sounds aren't too much of a stretch either. So maybe that's a good sign for you.

Not to mention the kit is absolutely beautiful. I've got the natural finish, and it's like candy to look at. I like some of the other finishes it comes in as well. The only thing is you might want to get another snare. The Sensitone that comes with the VBX isn't terrible, but I'm looking to get something else for a different flavor. It's very "squishy", and when tuned a certain way can have a hint of a china cymbal kind of sound. Perfect for certain things, but it's less versatile than the rest of the kit is.

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:48 am

Mid 60's ludwig. 22, 13 16 white interiors. tone and vibe for days. Depending on the finish, they can be had for a song if you look...
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:48 pm

My relativity might be a product of the fact that I've only been a performing drummer for a year, although I've been recording drummers for years, and having to deal with their apeish magnificence as a guitar player * but*

I think there are a million and a half cool sounding drum sets. I think my used DW's are the bees knees. I love old Ludwigs. I've heard some cheaper new Gretch kits that sound really good, for being in the under 1,000 price point. One of my old roomies is a life long drum-addict and we discussed how pretty much every popular drum company has a higher end drum kit that sounds awesome (DW, Tama, Pearl, Ludwig, Gretsch, Mapex ad infinitum).

Obviously no one would be indifferent to which is which, but it would seem to me that the type of wood and the size of it and the number of plys used are the most important elements. I've heard drummers describe the drums they like based on those elements, and mention how they may have had both a Pork Pie and a Yamaha kit with those features.

Cryonicsound
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Cryonicsound » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:36 pm

Check out Sonor's midrange stuff. Force 2003, 3003, 2007, 3007's can be had for well within your price range. They sound great and have a pretty rugged build. I myself have a force 3003 and swear by it. Also, it seems to me like even the lower-end Yamaha kits sound wicked good.
------------------------------
Rafi Singer
Cryonic Sound

lambchop
audio school graduate

Post by lambchop » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:38 pm

Hey Alex, I'm a piano player, not a drummer. But when I wanted to purchase a new set of drums for my project studio to replace the brand "X" set someone left for me four years earlier I figured I needed help. What I did was ask the people over at a couple of internet drum forums. I found that those guys really respected my inexperience and gave me a lot of very constructive suggestions; first with the drum set; and a second time with my cymbal selections.

FWIW, I then knew what to look for in my search for a new drumset. Then I really lucked out. My nephew got this awesome full blown Slingerland double bass rock setup for a song from his best friend and sold me his mid level Tannoy fusion set for a nice price. Then I got some great Instanbul cymbals based on the information I received which my current drummer is in love with.

Good luck in your search.

studiodog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by studiodog » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:55 pm

2nd on the vintage ludwig sets with the white inner shells
"...because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me!"

AlexHerd
takin' a dinner break

Post by AlexHerd » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:21 am

Just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions, especially the Ludwig recommendations. Over the last year I put together a 60's Ludwig kit from orphans and ended up spending about $700. I ended up with 22, 13, 16 all coincidentally in white marine pearl. I also picked up a 70s Acrolite snare for good measure.

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this kit. As soon as I got it all together, put on new heads and tuned it up, it was instant tone. I love how versatile it is as a studio kit. I have it tuned low right now and a little muffled and am getting some killer 70s sounds. It sounds great tuned up and open for general rock tone. It take to tuning and different heads so well... Thanks again for the advice!

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:54 am

I have one of the md 60s white interior Ludwig kits someone mentioned above. Very warm sounding but powerful at the same time. Mine were passed down to me by my Dad who bought them used in '65 or '66 so I have no idea what they can be bought for now. I love that kit though! It has such vibe when recorded. I never use the little muffle levers on the toms as they seem to have just the right amount of decay when tuned well. They are easy to get sounding good from a tuning standpoint and stay in tune well. The kick drum seems very well balanced without muffling but I have a nice dampened outer head on it. I think it's the Aquarian with a round hole with dampening material around the inside. These drums really open up with modern heads while still retaining a nice woody warmth. I get compliments on the recordings I do with the kit all the time. People ask ask I get these drum sounds and I always mention the kit and drummer first. I've also had really good luck with some of the Premiere kits made in the UK from the 90s. Can't think of the model now but will see next time I work with the drummer who has them.