Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Manny Rivers
audio school

Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire

Post by Manny Rivers » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:15 am

can't find real specs on this unit. I know it uses DICE ii. but EQ? converters? perfect piece from a hardware perspective, but it gets trashed on message boards (brittle, crappy, etc.) I rarely trust that kind of post unless its REAL specific, and what I've read smacks of people trying to sound like they know what they're talking about. On the other hand, Alesis's lack of info makes me suspicious too. Anybody here have first hand knowledge of these lil' pups?

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:41 am

I used to have the USB version, it was a couple years ago so I might not have the spec info you're looking for. I got it because it allowed me to record straight into the computer, better than plugging straight into the soundcard at least! Software-wise, I never had any issues. It always showed up fine in whatever software I was using. Never had any issues with dropouts, latency, anything like that.

As far as the sound, I'd have to agree. The EQ didn't seem to really grab hold of the frequency, if that makes any sense at all. I've got a Portastudio, and when you turn up the bass on it, you hear nice punchy bass raising in what you recorded. With the multi-mix it had a feeling of just ..sitting on top of what you're recording. The highs were definitely brittle, and I tried to use EQ as little as possible. It kind of sounded like a failed attempt at hifi. In general the board is relatively solid, a little heavy for its size. The knobs all had a decent feel to them. I tried the effects once or twice, it has presets. They're not the worst I've heard but nothing I'd use in a recording. The converters seem decent, about what you'd expect for that price level. It's not really a piece that helped me in the recording process, I sometimes I forget I ever had one. I guess there could be worse options, but it's definitely not something I'd recommend.

Manny Rivers
audio school

Post by Manny Rivers » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:16 pm

That's helpful thanks

boid
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by boid » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:45 pm

a friend of mine owns it (and ive worked with his unit)

the effects are crappy indeed
and the eqs are what you would expect from a cheapish mixer..
but the interface itself....and pres....quite ok
i thought it was a pretty solid build, so i wouldnt worry about it being brittle

nothing special, though...

dont want to spam or anything...but the drums on there were recorded with the alesis....i also have the multitracks if you want to listen to the bare drum mix

http://luut.bandcamp.com/track/indent-die

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:39 pm

I have a MultiMix16 firewire. I've used it for "recording the band" at gigs and it's worked well for that. I could attach it to my laptop, record the night as WAVs and then drop it into ProTools later for editing and any other processing. So it worked well as a tape machine but I never really use it for much else. When recording I have all the EQ set flat. I may have used the hi-pass filters on a couple channels but thats it.

that said I've gotten a few good, live recordings with it.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Manny Rivers
audio school

Post by Manny Rivers » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:55 am

Thanks all. Gonna listen to the linked recordings soon. Would love to hear those bare drums!

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:23 am

digitaldrummer wrote:I have a MultiMix16 firewire. I've used it for "recording the band" at gigs and it's worked well for that. I could attach it to my laptop, record the night as WAVs and then drop it into ProTools later for editing and any other processing. So it worked well as a tape machine but I never really use it for much else. When recording I have all the EQ set flat. I may have used the hi-pass filters on a couple channels but thats it.

that said I've gotten a few good, live recordings with it.

Mike
I have the MMix 16 also and use mine exactly like that. Good results. I even mixed the live show for a band once with it. It's pretty flimsy for a live sound mixer so I wouldn't recommend it for that.