capacitor questions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

creaturesleeper
gimme a little kick & snare

capacitor questions

Post by creaturesleeper » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:42 pm

This may seem like a no brainer but I am buying some parts for a Mic build with a nine volt power supply. It's the same one in an earlier post here for the TapeOp DIY Mic. Should I just get Capacitors rated for over nine volts or go higher than that? I am buying these from Mouser and there is also options for tolerance and termination style. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:43 am

Ceramic disc caps are usually rated for much higher voltages, so that's not an issue. You can always go with a higher voltage rating. (Chances are, you won't find an off-the-shelf ceramic cap rated at 9V anyway.)

The other caps (polyester?) are also usually rated at much higher voltages, so again it's not an issue.

As for termination style, ceramic caps typically have radial leads, meaning two leads coming out of one side. The other caps can be either radial or axial (one lead out of each end). Since you're not populating a circuit board with these parts, either should be fine.

Tolerances: most off-the-shelf caps are not manufactured to very tight tolerances anyway (10-20% is average), so whatever they have will work.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:12 pm

just for another point, different construction types of caps can sound subtly different. Ceramic caps tend to be the 'lowest-fi,' they can exhibit measurable hysteresis/distortion and can have a 'grainy' sound. People get real fetishistic with different cap types. For small values lots of poeple like silver mica caps, and some people also like polystyrene caps (the old-school little ones) for audio stuff. Most anything would probably be fine for a simple DIY project, but for audio stuff I tend to stay away from ceramic types, at least, unless I specifically want their character.

creaturesleeper
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by creaturesleeper » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:57 pm

??????? wrote:just for another point, different construction types of caps can sound subtly different. Ceramic caps tend to be the 'lowest-fi,' they can exhibit measurable hysteresis/distortion and can have a 'grainy' sound. People get real fetishistic with different cap types. For small values lots of poeple like silver mica caps, and some people also like polystyrene caps (the old-school little ones) for audio stuff. Most anything would probably be fine for a simple DIY project, but for audio stuff I tend to stay away from ceramic types, at least, unless I specifically want their character.
Everythings in the mail...Thanks for the help!