Office Cubicles as Gobo's

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

SkylerT87
audio school graduate

Office Cubicles as Gobo's

Post by SkylerT87 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:41 pm

So I just bought a few office cubicle walls. 3' x 5'. With a few dollars in hinges and wheels I now have a few Gobo's. They great part was that i bought 4 of them for 20 bucks from a craig list posting of a office building recently bought and they had a bunch of them they were trying to get rid of. Has anyone else done this and if so any feedback on how well they work. I imagine because they are made to lower sound in offices they should work alright. If anything its a cheap way to make some Gobos.
We should only need one or two takes.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:39 pm

they will do something. I don't know if it'll be good though. They might treat sound in an office, but will they handle reflections of guitar amps or drums?

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:49 pm

For the $$ you spent, you're golden.

Most office dividers are some sort of metal or plastic frame with a sheet of some sort of solid material and some sort of combination of fiberglass insulation and rigid fiberglass insulation. Definitely useful...but not so effective that they're worth paying big bucks for.

I think you got a pretty good score.

Especially if they fit into your work flow.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:22 pm

Doubling them up might work a lot better for the low freqs.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

-3db
gettin' sounds

Post by -3db » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:14 pm

Cube walls are pretty much permanent structures. They are kind of heavy and need to be fixed to another one to stand up unless you have some sort of legs.

So I would think they would be good for a permanent set up, but hard to move around to set up vocal booth or surround the drums between sessions when you only have a few minutes to get it done.
Um excuse me, these headphones aren't working...

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:01 pm

I have several. You take two and hinge them together so they will stand by themselves, then add casters - which I think the poster mentioned - and they are very portable, albeit heavy.

I don't know about actual absorbtion properties but they are great for separating acoustic instruments, amps, walling off drums from the rest of the room etc. Sometimes i have used them around a guitar amp in my guitar room, which is untreated and bright. Also, you can get some foam like auralex and some T pins and place foam on them as needed based on the source to help soundwise.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

rodreb
audio school graduate

Post by rodreb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:38 pm

I have a couple that I use to screen off the drums from bleeding all over the room. They work fine.
ROD

Imaginary Friend Recording

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:01 am

I have several I got for free. Working on some casters for mobility.Actually gonna make one side a hard surface for versatility.You could add some 703 for more absorption.
Peace,
Kevin

playinbass
alignin' 24-trk

Post by playinbass » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:54 pm

I have several. You take two and hinge them together so they will stand by themselves, then add casters - which I think the poster mentioned - and they are very portable, albeit heavy.
I've got a few of these kicking around and have found them useful on occasion, but haven't figured a good way to attach casters. Has anyone found a good easy way to get them to work? I'd love a stable method to get them to easily roll around without toppling over.

Gerry

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:42 am

I have used them to isolate bleed from one source to another... but I did modify them a bit.

The did work well enough for guitars but for drums they needed some work...

first problem is they usually have some clearance from the bottom of the piece to the floor... this lets lows through like crazy. I tried a couple of different thing... but what worked best for me was to take off the "legs" and hinge them together.

Then they didn't absorb as much as I wanted to I got some Auralex pieces and covered one side of them with absorption and I point that side towards my main source.

I like them...