Square State Solid State EQ Model One B

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:25 am

Awesome! I haven't seen this thing since we had the prototype at G a few years ago. That was fantastic, especially for the price, and I can only imagine how the finished product holds up. Put me on the list to demo a pair when you get a chance!

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:06 pm

Put me on the list to demo a pair when you get a chance!
That might well be sometime in 2011...I'm busting my hump to keep our sales channels full. I have a single unit here right now, which is slated to be murdered in the name of product safety testing.

On the flip side, Warren has a bunch of available units, and he has a very reasonable return policy.
That's awesome news you are working on a 2 channel 1/2 rack HP/LP. That would be very cool, and very useful. Would this have "slope" control, like some crossovers have? That would also be really useful. If so, would the slope be up to 24db/oct, or 18 or 12?
My initial thought was 2 channels, 12dB/Octave, in a half rack, priced somewhat less than the EQ. 2 knobs and a bypass control per channel, same I/O and power schemes as the EQ. It would be trivial to make it so that one channel output is tied to the other channel input, like a normaled patch point. Plug into channel 1, and out of channel 2 for more complex slope-shapes.

Swept control using pots is probably less expensive than rotary switches. Rotary switches cost more, and would require more components behind the panel to support them.

Of course, it's just a little breadboard right now, and all of the questions here have got me looking at other possibilities. What do you really want, and what would you pay for it?

The thing that will make the filter possible will be the success of the EQ! At the moment, my R&D budget looks more like a run to Taco Bell.
And did you say something about making it for the 500 series? No? ok, I thought maybe you did.
As for 500 series filters, Shinybox have one.

I'm reluctant to enter the 500-series market. If I'm trying to be price conscious, I find it a little silly to tell people that they need a $300+ power supply.

Warhead
audio school graduate

Post by Warhead » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:12 pm

The Scum wrote:
On the flip side, Warren has a bunch of available units, and he has a very reasonable return policy.
Yes, I encourage you to check them out in your own place and decide. I try to be as easy on returns as I can when needed, which is luckily rare.

War
Warren Dent

ZenProAudio.Com

GMR990
audio school graduate

Post by GMR990 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:45 am

Is there a UK distributor these yet? I'd be all over this but customs and excise are pretty vicious
Nicorette for your chakras

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:11 am

I gotta chime in here :)
I recently bought 2 of these from Warren, and they pretty much kick ass!
I'm still getting to know them, but man, cool sounds so far!
Dialed up one of the best P-bass tones of all time last week.
Killer for a dry 70's style 'wallet on the snare' thing.
Really cool kick drum shaper.
Made an OK floor tom into a thundering monster!

Not surgical (obviously), but you can really push a sound around into different territory. It can be pretty subtle, or totally crazy. Love the character.

I'm a fan!

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:29 pm

Dude, the demo I had in blew my mind on snare. Plain old blew it. Now I just have to talk Daniel in to buying a pair for Strange Weather... My money's all tied up in construction.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:11 pm

It fully rocked it on a bunch of sources for me.
This thing really is great. I still have a demo unit at my studio right now. It is really a killer EQ.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:14 pm

GMR990,

We haven't yet got anything together in terms of overseas distribution. Warren does ship internationally, though. You could also ask your favorite vendor to come to us. It's much easier for us to get vendors to stock things when their clients are interested.

Everyone else,

Thanks for the kind words and enthusiasm. I'm glad people are diggin' them!

Pulsar Audio Lab
audio school

Post by Pulsar Audio Lab » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:05 am

I just saw the review in Tape Op and these look like a killer match for my studio right now. Can't wait to get a pair.
--
Peace,

Carl Fuehrer - Pulsar Audio Lab
http://www.pulsaraudiolab.com

san luis sound
audio school

square state solid state - model one b reviews

Post by san luis sound » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:34 am

Pulsar Audio Lab wrote:I just saw the review in Tape Op and these look like a killer match for my studio right now. Can't wait to get a pair.
PAB,
Thanks for the nod! We've been getting some great feedback from model one b users. Here's a link to Scott Dorsey's review in Recording Magazine -

http://www.recordingmag.com/productrevi ... 05/39.html

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions! And don't forget ZenPro Audio has a special on pairs of our EQ.

http://www.zenproaudio.com/squarestatesolidstateeq.aspx

Best regards,
Joe
www.squarestatesolidstate.com

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:40 am

Any TOMBers interested in a test drive should look here.