603s Omni Capsule Set?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrclean
pushin' record

603s Omni Capsule Set?

Post by mrclean » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:37 pm

I picked up a pair of MXL 603s mics back when they were a stupid deal of the day (30 bucks each!!) and of course they have the cardioid cap on them. Now I see you can get an Omni set for about 50 bucks:

http://www.spectrumaudio.com/marshall-m ... e-set.html

Here's a stupid question. Is changing them out a simple matter of unscrewing the top or is there more to it than that? So that depending on my needs - I could change easily?
-- mrclean

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:45 pm

I believe it's just unscrewing it and changing it like you're thinking.

I've got two 603Ss (one that I got on that same Stupid Deal of the Day, the other came with my MXL 4000). First of all I love them, I seem to say that all the time. I've thought about getting the omni capsules, but honestly their cardioid pattern is so wide that I've just kind of decided it wasn't worth the $50. But if you do get them let me know how big of a difference you think it is. It'd definitely be nice to have the option of two omni SDCs as I don't have that now, but honestly I'd be more interesting in getting a set of hypercardioids if they had them than omnis.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:05 pm

For the record, the 603S is Sub-cardioid, not cardioid.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:24 pm

thunderboy wrote:For the record, the 603S is Sub-cardioid, not cardioid.

jt
Wow, not only did I not know that's what the "S" stood for, but I don't think I've ever heard "sub-cardioid"! I can't find anywhere that I'm seeing the 603S described as sub-cardioid, I only see cardioid, I'm surprised it isn't written that way normally.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:38 pm

jgimbel wrote:
thunderboy wrote:For the record, the 603S is Sub-cardioid, not cardioid.

jt
Wow, not only did I not know that's what the "S" stood for, but I don't think I've ever heard "sub-cardioid"! I can't find anywhere that I'm seeing the 603S described as sub-cardioid, I only see cardioid, I'm surprised it isn't written that way normally.
Sub-cardioid capsules are pretty rare in the low-to-midrange market. However, if there's one thing MXL does well, it's keeping things interesting where polar patterns are concerned. "The Cube" is also classified as a cardioid, and above 600-800Hz it IS cardioid. However, it's a near-perfect figure-eight below.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:50 am

Yes! Just unscrew them and screw the others on. Dead simple. And FWIW I really love the omni caps!