trouble applying effects on wavefile in region on Pro Tools

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

oldtimefiddler
audio school

trouble applying effects on wavefile in region on Pro Tools

Post by oldtimefiddler » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:26 am

Hi Folks, I'm new here-great forum and info!
My conundrum: I'm recording with Pro tools LE 7 and have created an
Audio File in a Region. I use the Selector tool to highlight a section of that Audio File so that I can add an Effect to just part of the Audio File. No matter what Effect I chose from in the AudioSuite drop down and attempt to apply, I get a card that pops up and says "No audio was selected".
Strangely enough, this was working fine last week. I've been through the preferences, help manuals, etc., and am at my wits end.
Thanks for any help you can give!
Peace
www.hawksandowls.com "the acoustic evolution of rural American music"

Galen Ulrich Elfert
gettin' sounds

Post by Galen Ulrich Elfert » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:10 am

It's always difficult to diagnose these kinds of problems without being there, but the first thing I would suggest is to make sure the track you're working on is in Waveform view.

Also, this doesn't apply to your problem directly, but it's important to have a solid understanding of the difference between Audio files and Regions in Pro Tools. A region is basically just a piece of data that points to an arbitrary chunk of an Audio file. Any time you perform a regular edit in a track (cut, paste, trim, etc.) a region is created or modified, but the Audio file is untouched (that's why it's called nondestructive editing). When you apply an effect, however, a new Audio file is created, and it only includes the audio you selected when you applied it.

I hope that makes sense, and I hope I don't sound like a smartass. It took me a long time to get my head around this concept when I first started using PT. I wish someone had told me about alternate playlists before I spent three years duplicating and deactivating whole tracks.

playinbass
alignin' 24-trk

Post by playinbass » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:13 am

but the first thing I would suggest is to make sure the track you're working on is in Waveform view.

That would be my first guess as well.....having had the same thing happen to me.

Gerry

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:03 pm

It sounds like you are highlighting it, but not defining it.

To define it:

Highlight the region - then hit apple "E" (hold apple while selecting the letter e) to define it. ...done.

oldtimefiddler
audio school

Post by oldtimefiddler » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks for the response you guys! You're the best.

calmsea, I guess I'm totally clueless when it come to understanding and properly using Audio files and Region. Can you suggest any tutorials online that I use to get up to speed? Unfortunatly, the Instructional DVD that my ProTools came with didn't work properly, skipped all over the place, and Pro tools chose to ignore my 3 requests to send me a working one.

WaltzMastering, I'm using a Dell pc for my studio, and can't find the keyboard shotcut you described. Any clue for a windows os?

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:18 pm

It's whatever command you would use to make an edit or cut.

You need to make it, it's own region, not just a high lighted part of a region before you can process it.

oldtimefiddler
audio school

Post by oldtimefiddler » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:19 pm

Oh, and yes... I'm am in waveform view.
I can apply effects to the entire track by placing the effect(s) in Inserts, but I want to be able to work with only a section of the file.
This was working fine for me last week. I don't know what I have disabled to restrict me from using the Audio Suite tools.
Thanks for the direction!

oldtimefiddler
audio school

Post by oldtimefiddler » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:45 pm

WaltzMastering: Yes, I see now what you mean. I use ctrl+E on a pc to accomplish that.
Unfortunatly, I am still unable to use the tools in Audio Suite for the "now new" Region. I can only accomplish a full file effect overlay through using the Inserts as a launch for the effect.

oldtimefiddler
audio school

Post by oldtimefiddler » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:13 pm

Another issue that might be related:
If I use the Consolidate command, either after hitting Select All, or highlighting a single track with the select tool, the Consolidate feature will do it's thing, but I'm left with a solid black track. I'll then clik anywhere on the screen and the track will turn to it's normal color, but without any Wavefile in it. It will playback fine, but there's no wavefile to reference. This started about the time that I was unable to use the AudioSuite selections. Any clues?? Thanks for your time!

oldtimefiddler
audio school

Post by oldtimefiddler » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:08 am

HORRAY! The problem was solved by "trashing the preferences"
Start Menu > My Computer > Local Disk(C:) or correct hard drive (click "show the contents of this drive" if the files aren't displayed) > Program Files > Common Files > Digidesign > DAE > Right-click on the DAE Prefs folder and delete.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of learning the difference between audio regions and audio files though. Big help!
Thanks!