I'd like a cheap analog synth, please

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:38 am

I have owned a Sequential Six Trak since 1996. Great synth, and even though it has only one knob (like me!) to control all of it's parameters, it can be mapped to any MIDI controller (M-Audio Oxygen, Computer, sequencer) via Continuous Controllers. Depending on what you want to do with it (studio or live), it can be programmed and played stand-alone or MIDI'd into a DAW and controlled hands-off.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:30 am

The Moog/realistic MG1 is a really great synth. I got one last march or so and I still come up with new sounds every day. The Korg poly's are pretty neat. The poly 6 is great, the poly 800 and poly 61 are interesting sounding but devoid of knobs! all parameters and buttons.
The Oberheim matrix 1000 is great, but you need a computer to make patches using an editor librarian.
Also,the JX3-p is an overlooked synth, but you need the programmer to do real work.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:25 pm

Avoid: roland "alpha" juno models. Cheaper: yes. Disappointing: yes.

hautacam
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hautacam » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:00 pm

Another vote for the SCI Six Trak, it is a great little synth.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:25 pm

if you can find one a yamaha cs01 can be had for less than $400 usually.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:50 am

hautacam wrote:Another vote for the SCI Six Trak, it is a great little synth.
and another.

i feel sick whenever i remember that i sold mine. :(
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:26 am

I have a mint condition roland hs60 that I lucked into from ebay of all places. 227$. It's a beautiful creature to play and definitely turned me into a synth nerd. Another one sold for under 200 bucks.
I'm a bad man!

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:28 pm

Some great suggestions on here...I've always passed up the 300 dollar synth on ebay because I didn't know what I would be getting....That Bass Station looks pretty cool. I"ve always wondered about some of those Russian synths I've seen on there. Anyone ever give one of those a try?
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:11 am

fyi, I think only the bass station is analog. The rest of the novation stuff is modeling.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:06 am

Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:56 am

I think for $300 you are asking a lot...a lot of analog synths that you were able to get in that price range in the late 90s/early 00s have doubled and tripled in value. I had made a nice collection of stuff "back then" because it was cheap, Roland HS-60 (yes it sounds just like a Juno 106, but the speakers are likely to be blown if you find one, not to mention other Juno quirks due to age), Sequential Circuits Pro One (this is the only synth I sold that I really wish I could take back, honestly), FutureRetro FR-777, Roland SH-101 (HIGHLY overrated if you ask me, very limited capabilities)... Except for the HS-60, I don't you think you can find any of those that I paid $300-400 for for less than $1000 today.

Also because of the maintenance and age of these machines, I would hesitate to recommend buying one unless you are savvy and able to replace components as needed, as you likely will have to if you keep it for any length of time (my Pro One I used to have to work on every time I moved...very fragile...I could never imagine gigging with it). All of the components in old synths are past their shelf life by about at least a decade...so something is going to go wrong with them if it hasn't already.

My recommendation would be something like a Dave Smith Instruments Mopho (Dave Smith = the genius behind Sequential Circuits...also the inventor of MIDI), which I think can be had for about $400 new...and if you decide you need polyphony...you can buy another one, or hook it up to a Tetra for more voices. I've never used one, but I've thought about it because of the Sequential Circuits legacy (he also makes new Prophet synths but they are much more).

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:52 am

Is it difficult to fix analog synths? I've been reading up on electronics and been getting into modifying equipment, so if it's simple like replacing non-surface mount parts I think I'll be ok.

I found a broken Arp Odyssey that would be great if I can get it working.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:04 am

the korg poly 800 is often found for less than $100 on the bay. There are a lot of mods for it. there is even a new rom you can get which enhances midi capabilities and gives you more than one lfo! It's polyphonic but only has one filter. It also has pretty harsh sounding DCOs compared to some other synths. But who plays a synth with the filter open!
Moog/Realistic MG1 used to be about $300, now hovers between $400-500. I lucked out with mine as the listing was mispelled and got it for $300

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:22 pm

$300 is likely not going to land you a fun, working analog. There are some good digital hybrids in that price range.

The best analogs seem to hover around the $1000 range. The pinnacle stuff over 4 grand should be for film composers and dudes with synth techs in their band.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."