I'd like a cheap analog synth, please

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:18 pm

Is it difficult to fix analog synths? I've been reading up on electronics and been getting into modifying equipment, so if it's simple like replacing non-surface mount parts I think I'll be ok.

I found a broken Arp Odyssey that would be great if I can get it working.
Its not so much that it is difficult if you are handy with a soldering iron...more just that its a pain, gets expensive (buying vintage NOS chips), and you'll eventually need a couple "parts" instruments to keep it going... I don't consider them really gig worthy...there is a reason that most keyboard bands quit touring with older analog synths when digital came out...reliability. That or they would sample their synths and leave the real thing at home. I just think from personal experience that a 20-30+ year old synth is destined to be a studio princess at best. As much as I'd like to buy an vintage Minimoog or Arp 2600...if I had the money to pay for one I'd probably get a new one instead.

And if all you want to do is mess around with synths...you might be better off just playing with software synths for the meantime until you have more money to spend on something decent. You can learn the programming aspect pretty easy in software and anything you pick up will immediately transfer to most any synth you buy later. I learned a lot using the Nord Modular systems (digital, PC software programmed instruments), and feel confident in front of an analog modular when I am lucky enough.

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:40 pm

I am really happy withmy hs-60. It is wonderful, everything works everything is really perfect.

However, it will never leave the studio. You would have to be nuts. The speakers are great too. They break up like a casio!

Anyway, still, no, I won't take it out of the studio, where it stays under a cover on an ultimate support stand.
I'm a bad man!

ThePaloverdeBeetle
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ThePaloverdeBeetle » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:57 am

Octave Plateaux Cat. Amazing complex monosynth if you can find one. Nice warm analog sound.

Korg Mono-poly. Not sure how much these go for nowadays.

Korg DW-8000.EX-8000. Somewhat limited with digital oscillators and env generators (not fast enough for snappy attacks) but huge fat sounding filters.

Ensoniq ESQ. grungy lo res digital oscillators and slower digital env generators. Stiill it's a lot of fun, complex modulation routing, nice sounding analog filters.

DIY- Look up Gene Stopp's ASM-1. Amazing sounding all discrete design. Still available last time I checked.

Cheating- really you could do worse than finding a copy of Reactor somewhere. I've built some pretty amazing custom synths in the box. It's not real analog, but then again neither are some of the hybrids mentioned in this thread.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:20 am

I know people that gig with Roland Junos, JX3p's Moog Rogues, Octave Kats. You just have to:
A-not abuse your gear and
B-know a good tech
One other problem from a self maintenance standpoint is that the circuit boards in the older ones arent labeled at all. So you have to have a schematic or just know by looking at it what a circuit board does.
My first ever analog synth maintenance project was a minimoog that kept blowing fuses. NIGHTMARE! Ended up taking it in to a more talented person than I.
Though these days most synths of note have a yahoo group or google group as well as a fan site with all kindsof resources, mods, manual downloads, patches etc.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:56 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the JEN SX-1000. Are those things more common here in the UK than in the US or something? They are by far the most common analog synth that I see about for cheap.

kuene
takin' a dinner break

Post by kuene » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:04 pm

i had the korg polysix, bought one of craigslist 5 years ago for around 350. loved that thing. http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/poly6.php

Jeff White

Re: I'd like a cheap analog synth, please

Post by Jeff White » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:38 pm

minorleagues wrote:I'd like to have a synth to use mess around with and put in the occasional song. In the $300 range, is there anything analog worth having? I'm sure some (RJD2, Joel) have some good suggestions but of course all are welcome! Maybe a Juno 60 if I get lucky?
What about software? I mean, I have a Seq Circuits Six Trak but honestly I reach for VIs more often.

Do you have a computer? Do you have a MIDI controller? I know that they are not analog, but the G Force/G Media stuff is really nice. I LOVE the Minimonsta. It gets used a lot. With good converters and a reamp this thing is even better than just ITB.

I'd LOVE to own a MiniMoog Voyager but I cannot justify such a purchase. I plan on using the MiniMonsta for as long as they are supporting it.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:32 pm

AstroDan wrote:$300 is likely not going to land you a fun, working analog.
With respect, AstroDan, I think that's gloomy. $300 for a cool and functional analog may not be the common average, but it's a completely do-able goal for someone with patience who can keep an eye out over time. Within the last two years (even before the economy tanked, and it's now a better buyer's market) I got a sequential multi-trak for $275 and a siel OR-400 for $250. Both in perfect working shape and near perfect cosmetics, they get a lot of studio use. My girlfriend got a completely mint first-owner wurlitzer 200a for $500 - from knowing what she wanted and taking the time.

Tapeop spirit, I'd like to think, is can-do for cheap.

PS - hybrids are cool too. Agreed.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:48 pm

good point on dakotas part. This is the best timeof year to pick up used gear. Moms and dads are selling stuff so they can buy jr an xbox or a huffy. also, if you arent too particular you can pick up one of the less desireable synths. Like one of the ones meant to work with an organ so it has all the controls under the keybed.
About organs. You can always find various lowry, baldwin, conn, etc organs for free on craigslist. At least once a week I see one. same for pianos. People just want them gone! I actually sa a free leslie last week (sans amp or speakers but including rotor)

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:14 am

Some analogs I have gotten for around the $300 mark:
Sequential 6-track (delicious MIDI control!)
Rhodes Chroma Polaris (DO NOT OPEN IT EVER, unless you feel like doing one of these numbers: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... ris&page=4 )
Ensoniq SQ-80. DCOs, but 6 analog filters, polyphonic aftertouch, and much modulation weirdness available
I recently ordered up one of these: http://www.healthclub-music.com/switcheroo.htm -- No keyboard, but it'll be good yucks.
In that same vein, if you have a little DIY knack, how about a Gakken?
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/0 ... h_kit.html
I'm thinking I'm going to wind up with a Roland SH-1 at some point.

Some that do not excite me very much:
Korg Poly/EX-800
Roland Juno anything other than the 6/60/106. Look for the sliders. The sliders mean good and fun. Parametric programming means hassle and menus.

otto-bot
alignin' 24-trk

Post by otto-bot » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:48 am

Octave Cats and mono/polys run about $800+ these days.

The ESQ-1 and SQ-80 have digital oscilators not DCOs (digitally controlled oscilators [the are digitally controlled because they are analog and need the "control" to stay in tune). The sq-80/esq-1 osc. are basically waves or cycled samples if you will. These synths are a big bang for your buck, frequently costing less than$200 with classic subtractive synthesis w/sequencer, etc.

You will be able to pick up a decent DCO based poly like an alpha juno, JX3p, JX8p, MKS-30, 50, 70 which aren't that difficult to program without the programmer, assuming you have a decent idea of how subtractive programming works.

As far as knobby analog monos go your pretty much resigned to getting a yamaha CS01 or CS-5 as far as vintage goes. You'll have to same up a little more if your want something like an Arp Axxe or MS-10.

The Bass Station and Pulse are decent deals for analog mono. The pulse is pretty deep w/3 oscilators and all, just don't expect it to sound vintage, it's got its own sound.

Pick two:
Analog
lots of knobs
cheap

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:24 am

so uh otto, the Moog/realistic MG-1 isnt cheap and knobby? I know they have come up inrecent years, but they are still in the $300-450 range, depending on condition and greed of the seller.
On MG-1's be warned, they have a problem with deteriorating black foam. Known as the "black goo"problem. It took me about 4 hours to clean all the foam out of mine. they also have an RCA jack output, ripping that out and adding a 1/4"jack is easy and actually improves the sound when you get the resistors off the output.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:49 am

I haven't had much luck with the synth yet. I found TWO broken Arp's in Cincinnati but no one has e-mailed me back, so neither are likely to happen.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:25 pm

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:22 pm

I think I'm just going to keep my eyes open for a broken analog synth. I like fixing stuff, and I figure any old one is going to need the tantalum caps replaced anyway.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion