I'd like a cheap analog synth, please

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

I'd like a cheap analog synth, please

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:28 am

I'd like to have a synth to use mess around with and put in the occasional song. In the $300 range, is there anything analog worth having? I'm sure some (RJD2, Joel) have some good suggestions but of course all are welcome! Maybe a Juno 60 if I get lucky?
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Beneficial
pushin' record

Post by Beneficial » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:58 am

I got a novation bass station... rack version as my first analog synth. If you have a midi keyboard already that's a pretty cheap one. I think it's pretty good to learn on and sounds cool to me.

Wainwright
gettin' sounds

Post by Wainwright » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Roland Juno 6 - not analog oscs but polyphonic no midi - killer sounding under $350
((( Sucking in Stereo )))

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:38 pm

+1 on the Bass Station. The Yamaha CS-5 is quite underrated incidentally. It's very old-school analogue but good for running tracks through and very, very deep bass sounds. An Ampeg with 4x10 helps for that though.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:39 pm

The yamaha CS series.
The CS-5, or the CS-10 or '15.
I have the CS15 and it is a really useful synth.
I use it more than the other synths in the studio and we have a few killers.
Its just really simple and can do so many things without having such a sugnature sound like a minimoog so you can tuck it in with other instruments and make unique sounds and sub bass stuff and..... and...
Anyway, I like that one a lot and I think they are still reasonable-ish... maybe more like 450 for the CS15? i dunno.
I bought it a LONG time ago for 90 dollars.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:19 pm

Last CS-15 sold for close to $500 plus shipping, which a little out of my range. But, those look nice. Of course, I want to have something worth keeping.

I'll give you $91 for it Joel :wink:
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

desdinova
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by desdinova » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:02 pm

Roland JX-8P or the Akai AXes can be had for around there, DCOs, sure but they're classics.
You can always try your hand at building a MIDIbox SID or find a HardSID card used. I keep an ISA equipped machine laying around for mine. They've got a USB model out now, as well, but it's kind of pricey, IMO.
Yamaha's AN200 VA is an amazing little box. Not true analogue, but it's damn cheap.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Another nod to the Bass Station. Pretty good little machine on the cheap. Monophonic, lots of tweaking. It's capable of pretty good lead sounds and I used mine more for that than bass.
Roland RS09 is pretty cool too but that's an old machine and the switches may need some work. It's not as easy a unit to work on as some of the bigger Rolands as it's got a couple of PC boards tightly stacked inside pegged together with plastic rivets that've likely dried up and will want to break if you remove them to get at the switches. That said they sound really cool. I'm about to refurbish mine.
And though it's not analog, those dopey (spoken as a happy owner) little Microkorgs/MS2000s (watch for broken pots) can be tweaked into some pretty good sounds and sell cheap used all day long.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:08 pm

The Yamaha SY-2 is in that price range (lately I've seen an SY-1 for $275 & and SY-2 for $400)--it's in some ways limited, but it has an HP and an LP filter, & aftertouch as well. It can be quite a cool instrument.
Arp Axxe maybe? A fairly versatile synth (for having a single VCO). Yamaha CS01?
I'll second the Akai AX series. Not too pricy, but pretty cool synths.

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:01 pm

Another vote for the CS series. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my CS-80 from Chicago to New Orleans without dropping a month's rent on shipping...
tra la la

ofajen
pushin' record

Post by ofajen » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:04 am

Wainwright wrote:Roland Juno 6 - not analog oscs but polyphonic no midi - killer sounding under $350
Just to clarify... the Juno 6 does have analog oscillators. However, they are digitally controlled and hence play in tune pretty much all the time without drift. I still have the one I bought new in December 1982. Sounds great!

If you want a mono synth, the old Roland mono synths are good, too. I have an SH-09 and it is very fun. The SH-2 has more oscillators and does more.

Cheers,

Otto
Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:13 am

I've been looking for a Juno 106 myself. If you're looking at a Juno-106, be careful. Check it over in person and make sure all the voices work. The filter and amp chip on those things are well past their use life. Make sure it holds patches as well. I've looked at three 106s in the last two years and they all had issues.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Re: I'd like a cheap analog synth, please

Post by Dakota » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:17 am

minorleagues wrote:I'd like to have a synth to use mess around with and put in the occasional song. In the $300 range, is there anything analog worth having? I'm sure some (RJD2, Joel) have some good suggestions but of course all are welcome! Maybe a Juno 60 if I get lucky?
A juno 60 is a great all-around. You might find one that low, but I see them usually go $400 to $600. The juno 6 is very similar and usually sells somewhat cheaper - only major thing I recall is missing is the patch memory. The roland HS-60 is often a bargain - basically a 106 as a home console thing, not as well known, tends to sell lower.

+1 yamaha CS series and akai AX series.

The realistic/moog MG-1 is a cool and charming monosynth that I sometimes see as low as $300 (usually $400/$450).

The sequential multi-trak and six-trak are cool and can go around $300. They have midi.

The oberheim matrix 1000 and matrix 6r are great if you have a controller keyboard. Also midi.

The italian company Siel is kind of obscure but made some cool stuff. Sometimes locally found cheap as they aren't famous models.

You should definitely get on http://www.vintagesynth.com/ and geek out. Keep in mind the prices on there are not accurate - it's a fluid thing. Get familiar with models you find interesting, and use that to keep an eye on local craigslist and whatever else. Ebay is risky for analog synths. You can't test them before buying, and they get damaged in shipping pretty easily.

PS - I really like the korg DSS-1 a lot, but that's a whole other story. Fantastic analog/hybrid sounds for cheap... but it's huge, heavy, has a substantial learning curve, not "knobby" on top, and may require specific maintenance and babysitting. Super versatile for studio tracking if you can deal with the above.

stevedood
takin' a dinner break

Post by stevedood » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:36 am

The $300 price cap is a definite challenge to score an analog synth... maybe a broken one that needs a little TLC?
I'm a big fan of monophonic bass synths personally.
You might find an MG-1 around that price or a Moog Rogue for around $500.
If you have the DIY know-how, I'd also recommend a x0xb0x (TB-303 clone kit) but I'm not sure what the status is on kit availability these days...I think you can still get the case & PCB but have to source your own parts.
I'm also a fan of the Bass Station which is a very nice sounding box but not so sure how much they go for since I've seen them in all conditions.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:16 am

+1 on Siel. I have a Siel/Sequential Prelude which is pretty great sounding - though is having some drifting tuning problems now.

I also have a Roland SH-101 which is super fun to dick with and create sounds, but no real recall ability. Sounds great though.

Or the also not super sexy, but digitally controlled analog Korg Poly-61. Less fun to tweak cuz of the digital overlay, but exact recall and still great sounds. Been in my family since 1982 - I remember the day we got the midi expander kit and installed it.

on the crappy digital modeling front, i also have a redsound darkstar - they should be in your range. easy to tweak and store settings.