modern records mixed in mono? mono vs narrow stereo?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jkretz
gettin' sounds

modern records mixed in mono? mono vs narrow stereo?

Post by jkretz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:42 am

i'm curious if anyone can suggest some modern records that were done in mono. i'm currently weighing out the pros / cons of producing my bands record in mono, but have really only one "modern" reference (starflyer 59 - leave here a stranger). i'm also curious if creating a very "narrow" stereo record would still give off the same vintage feel (using panning pretty much only for reverbs etc...).

anyone have experience with making intentionally "not wide" albums?

here's a link to a starflyer 59 tune from that record - love the production on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jHkMU6bFaM

pardon the crappy youtube audio.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:21 pm

I think Frank Black's Black Letter Days has some mono, as does some Paul Westerberg (at least, he called a record Mono), and I think that there's a track on Born to Run that's mono ...

Then there's the Beatles re-issues, and the Beach Boys ones ...

There's apparently a (vinyl only) mono release of the Smashing Pumpkins' Adore.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

goatboy
ass engineer

Post by goatboy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:07 pm

RCHP - Californication is mono, I think.

esit: and of course by RCHP I mean RHCP :oops:

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:39 pm

goatboy wrote:RCHP - Californication is mono, I think.

I didn't think it was, so I checked. At first I was going to say it sounds entirely mono to me except this organ/synth part has a melody/harmony hard panned (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhcwyUZdT60 - 1:41). But then there's a crash cymbal that I keep hearing jump to the right, and the ride at the guitar solo sounds slightly right as well. The build on the low tom coming out of that part definitely sounds stereo too, with the low tom panned left. But I could be mistaken, I'm just listening to the crappy, horrible youtube version. But if I'm right, strange how most everything is mono, I don't hear a lot of that. Very cool. I don't know that I've heard this song, or really listened hard to it, since before I started paying attention to recording/mixing.

goatboy
ass engineer

Post by goatboy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:21 am

jgimbel wrote:
goatboy wrote:RCHP - Californication is mono, I think.

I didn't think it was, so I checked. At first I was going to say it sounds entirely mono to me except this organ/synth part has a melody/harmony hard panned (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhcwyUZdT60 - 1:41). But then there's a crash cymbal that I keep hearing jump to the right, and the ride at the guitar solo sounds slightly right as well. The build on the low tom coming out of that part definitely sounds stereo too, with the low tom panned left. But I could be mistaken, I'm just listening to the crappy, horrible youtube version. But if I'm right, strange how most everything is mono, I don't hear a lot of that. Very cool. I don't know that I've heard this song, or really listened hard to it, since before I started paying attention to recording/mixing.
Ahh yes you are right. I checked out the link there haven't heard it in years. The whole album is the same way I think. To be honest I don't really care for it as an album.

thompsongs
ass engineer

Post by thompsongs » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:02 pm

check out some of spoon's earlier work. i'm pretty sure quite a few of there tracks were mono.

creaturesleeper
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: modern records mixed in mono? mono vs narrow stereo?

Post by creaturesleeper » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:46 pm

jkretz wrote:i'm curious if anyone can suggest some modern records that were done in mono. i'm currently weighing out the pros / cons of producing my bands record in mono, but have really only one "modern" reference (starflyer 59 - leave here a stranger). i'm also curious if creating a very "narrow" stereo record would still give off the same vintage feel (using panning pretty much only for reverbs etc...).

anyone have experience with making intentionally "not wide" albums?

here's a link to a starflyer 59 tune from that record - love the production on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jHkMU6bFaM

pardon the crappy youtube audio.
Yes Listen to Dead Moon from Portland most of their stuff was mastered on a mono press...They are now Pierced Arrows...same band different drummer...recording techniques haven't changed to much...