MXL 990 $50 at MF.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

MXL 990 $50 at MF.

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:36 am

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... D&ZYXSEM=0

for all you geeks thinking about modding a mic, this one has a few well known mods.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:49 pm

Holy Christ you have to be kidding me. Have you heard any of the mods? Good results?

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:02 pm

It's the same circuit/capsule as the 603/991 SDCs, so any of the mods for those are applicable, including the royer tube mod. However, the body design is weird and gives the mic a strange resonance thing that makes it boxy sounding, especially with that small capsule in it. I ended up giving mine away.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:14 pm

I'm working on modding my 1006 (a gift about 5 years ago). It is a similar "Schoeps" circuit from what I have read.
For $50 and a few capcitors, plus maybe some benchtime to get a different windscreen setup?

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:21 pm

You can read Michael Joly's take on modding the 990.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:37 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:I'm working on modding my 1006 (a gift about 5 years ago). It is a similar "Schoeps" circuit from what I have read.
For $50 and a few capcitors, plus maybe some benchtime to get a different windscreen setup?
I got one of those 1006's; it was my first LDC.

Not totally horrible stock, either.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:29 pm

suppositron wrote:Holy Christ you have to be kidding me. Have you heard any of the mods? Good results?
The 990 is an absolute steal at $50 and yes the mods make very audible differences. Even if you don't have Joly mod the electronics or the headbasket there are things you can do yourself to improves the sonics.

Nate mentioned the resonance issues with the body but they're easily remedied by dampening the mic body. I use those thick/wide rubber bands you get from fresh broccoli at the supermarket, no kidding. They are the perfect size for the 990 body and are colorful LOL. But seriously the mic body has serious issues that are addressed when dampened. It's also very easy to cut away the first two layers of wire mesh on the headbasket, exposing the capsule to more air and changing your capture of transients completely.

Another cool thing about the 990 is it doesn't have a hi freq boost disc to muck around with - big bonus.

This Christmas I'm treating my 990 to a premium electronics upgrade and headbasket redesign from Joly but there are simple things you can do for free that change some key issues with the 990 it's true.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:59 pm

I haven't done any serious modding to my 990, but I did take out those extra layers of mesh inside. Definitely made a difference, though I can't say it's a mic I use often.

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:41 am

I did the easiest mod possible, just pulled the headbasket off entirely (though you obviously have to be really careful with handling it to not snap the diaphragm off). I did an AB test and the difference is not even close. Electronics mods to follow later.
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:33 am

Well shit I may just have to pick one up. Any components I need I could steal from the lab I work in.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:37 am

well the $50 deal is over, so you would have to pony up $70 or whatever the market rate is for these.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:45 am

Well, then. $70 is totally unreasonable. Count me out.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:24 am

inasilentway wrote:I did the easiest mod possible, just pulled the headbasket off entirely (though you obviously have to be really careful with handling it to not snap the diaphragm off). I did an AB test and the difference is not even close. Electronics mods to follow later.
This is clever DIY! Your tactic works in this mic (as it would in the Nady SCM 800 and MCA SP1) because the small diaphragm capsule used in these mics has the diaphragm and case at ground potential and thus sheilds most of the signal-carrying backplate. Well, the back of the backplate and the high impedance connection from the capsule to the FET is not sheilded, but in some recording environments it may not pick up any hum.

It if does not pick up hum in your environment than you've got a SDC with optimum backplate loading and minimal reflection / refraction coloration due to backplate / body interference as found in SDC "pencil" mics.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:49 am

On my 1006 I have been stymied with upgrading the popfilter as its VERY crudely welded/soldered in there. I anticipate probably a good half hour or more with the dremel just to remove that gob of metal.
Been holding off on that until I find a suitable screen material.
And shoot, thats gonna wait until after the electronics mod. I dont want to go nuts on the windscreen if I end up hosing the preamp for some reason!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:51 pm

So exciting to think for just pennies, you can make an already shitty mic, slightly less shitty.