Boost/OD Pedals?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:15 am

You can get an incredible variety of sounds out of a Fulldrive 2, clean volume boost, tubesreamer boost and a bit beyond. Love me my Hotcake too! The Sparkle Drive is also great! I use all three all the time to push amps into bliss.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:29 am

Just goes to show you that pedals are a very personal choice. I thought the sparkle drive was very boring. I guess I am just more of a Rat/Muff guy.
Speaking of, I was researching possible mods(like a tone or a sustain control) for my double muff and found out it's not a pair of big muffs but a pair of Muff Fuzzes, the predecessor of the Big Muff. So there you go.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:41 am

But neither the Muffs nor Rats are really boost/OD pedals...... I love my rat too!

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:56 am

chuckfurok wrote:But neither the Muffs nor Rats are really boost/OD pedals...... I love my rat too!
Turbo Rat, twice the ouput of a regular rat, if you pull back dist to about 7-8 oclock and dime the output it obliterates the input of your amp.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

-3db
gettin' sounds

Post by -3db » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:29 pm

I have a Keeley modded Rat. Cool pedal and I get some great tones from it. But Robert told me that the Rat has gone through major re-designs through it's lifespan. So an older "vintage" Rat can sound very different from a more modern one.

Here's my Rat Notice the little toggle switch between the jacks

This pedal is really cool too
Um excuse me, these headphones aren't working...

sleep over jack
ass engineer

Post by sleep over jack » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:07 am

This thread went 4 pages without mentioning the Fulltone OCD. Poor show!

Anyhow, the OCD is amazing. Slays 90% of the rest of the pedals mentioned in this thread.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:09 pm

Quick update:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I ended up picking up a Nick Greer Ghetto Stomp OD pedal. I've been eying his stuff for a while now, since reading about his work in a thread over at the Electrical Audio forum. It's supposedly modeled after the old Fender Tweed sound (not exactly sure what that means).

Anyways... I finally got the old lady out of the house long enough today to try it out, and man, it sounds awesome. Wouldn't call it transparent, but it's insanely versatile. With the gain cranked, it's very reminiscent of a germanium Fuzz Face clone that I built, but it also does a subtle to moderate overdrive really well. Also works well as a clean-ish boost with the gain low and the volume maxed. I think it's a nice compliment to the Princeton that she's been using. Adds a little of the scooped out midrange back into the sound, and the low end it adds is HUGE. Almost too much with the 10" speaker using anything other than the bridge PU (luckily, I found it to sound best with that PU).

Tone control is nice. You can crank it without the high end become overly bright and harsh sounding, even when you really lay into it.

Cleans up nice with the guitar's volume knob and is super responsive to playing dynamics.

Check it out here, if you're interested: http://greeramps.com/

Dude has some really cool amp designs and other pedals as well.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:58 am

sleep over jack wrote:This thread went 4 pages without mentioning the Fulltone OCD. Poor show!

Anyhow, the OCD is amazing. Slays 90% of the rest of the pedals mentioned in this thread.
To prove the point YMMV, my RAT kicked the OCD off the guitar pedal board. It's actually on my bass guitar pedalboard, where it does a really nice grind solo sound on a couple of songs we play.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:19 am

sleep over jack wrote:This thread went 4 pages without mentioning the Fulltone OCD. Poor show!

I own an OCD that I love for the type of stuff I play, but she's never really been into it.

A great pedal though, no doubt. It compliments my 50w JMP very nicely, but definitely changes things up a lot with non-Marshall type amps.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:26 pm

2nd update:

Ended up picking up an LPB-1 myself today, to go with my Gemini II.

I LOVE the sound of that amp when it's dimed, but sometimes I still want to push it over the edge more, and my OCD changes the tone too much.

Haven't tried it yet, but hopefully it'll do the trick. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:39 pm

I think the LPB-1 is my favorite pedal for under fifty bucks. I like that it can give you that my amp is about to break sound. I'd really like to try a Zvexx super hard on one day too.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:59 am

Trick Fall wrote:I think the LPB-1 is my favorite pedal for under fifty bucks. I like that it can give you that my amp is about to break sound. I'd really like to try a Zvexx super hard on one day too.

The SHO sounds really good, but I just can't wrap my head around the price. It's such a simple device under the hood.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY