I Need New Monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:21 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:I am really confused by all the love Yamaha HS-series get. Dont you guys have a problem with the low mids? I heard a boxy flubby kind of low mid on those when I checked them out at Leos pro audio and at Guitars-R-Us. Is that just that both times I heard a pair with the lows cranked on the switches on back?
I really should mention that I'm using my HS50s with a sub -- I've actually never used mine in a 2.0 configuration, and I'd be astounded if there was anything useable in them past the LF crossover point I have mine cut off at (I think mine are set to 100hz but I'd have to look now that I think about it).

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: I Need New Monitors

Post by suppositron » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:05 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:
nordberg wrote:but i have nowhere to hear these.
You should be able to go here and listen to a lot of options in your price range.
I will admit, that for as much as I bash GC, I usually go there on a quiet weekday to check out monitors. Most of them actually havea "studio" set up with 8 or so pairs. I brought a CD and played it from itunes out through a PT hd setup into some fancy monitor switcher. I settled on either the adams or the rokits after listening to everything they had hooked up. The mackies and yammies were awful. The genelecs that they had sounded too nice. I really want some passive adams now.
Stange. That is exactly what i did. I brought like 6 cds of different genres to listen to. And I narrowed it to krk and adams as well. Thought the krks were a little bass heavy so I went for the adams. That is a pretty cool way to try out a bunch of different monitors.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:34 pm

I used ot want the passive Dynaudios but they only make stupid huge passives now, nothing entry level. So its the ANF10 hopefully in the near future
Either that or those Axiom MS22 everyone is all abuzz about, or some NS10's of those fall in my lap. I kind of have a bit of Yamaha loyalty between my DX27, PM180, PM1000 and my quest for a CS series synth.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

homebody
audio school

well, hell.

Post by homebody » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:08 pm

Wow. I have only been at this Tape Op message board for a few weeks and I hate it. Can you believe that there are people on here who have thousands of "posts?" What a waste of time. Having more "posts" doesn't mean your opinion is worth anything. You've been sitting on your computer bickering like retards over the quality of your monitors? C'mon girls.

I will continue to use this (if I'm not deleted) for the used gear area, but the rest of you are nuts. There is nothing more here than a bunch of grown men arguing over preferences. Jesus...how stupid. Go record something and shut up already.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: well, hell.

Post by Babaluma » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:48 pm

bah humbug! :lol:

so santa didn't bring you the toys you wanted this year? :(
homebody wrote:Jesus...how stupid. Go record something and shut up already.
:roll:

you said it asshole, why don't you just FO if you don't like it here? no one is forcing you to sign in and post your negativity.

i happen to think that the TOMB and the WOMB are the best places for getting good info on audio. at least the S/N ratio is better than over at that "other" place.

merry xmas and happy new year and all that.

:kotzen: :kotzen: :kotzen:

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:15 pm

seriously.
I like that people can be silly and act out a little bit here and it never(well rarely) turns into a dick measuring contest.
If you actually read some more of the forums (like DIY for example) there is a lot of useful info on here.
I gave up on the Sonar forums after a few incidents of people getting politely called on BS and it escalating to name calling and such. The REP and GS forums are alright but way too serious and dare I say macho?

It's like I always say, never post anything online you wouldnt want your mom to see and dont say anything online you wouldn't say to someone in person.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:14 pm

homebody wrote:Wow. I have only been at this Tape Op message board for a few weeks and I hate it. Can you believe that there are people on here who have thousands of "posts?" What a waste of time. Having more "posts" doesn't mean your opinion is worth anything. You've been sitting on your computer bickering like retards over the quality of your monitors? C'mon girls.

I will continue to use this (if I'm not deleted) for the used gear area, but the rest of you are nuts. There is nothing more here than a bunch of grown men arguing over preferences. Jesus...how stupid. Go record something and shut up already.
Happy Holidays to you too.

Mixing Audible's new EP over here between Yamaha NS-10Ms and Yamaha NS-6490s powered by an Adcom GFA 545 II with an Adcom GFS-3 speaker switcher after the amp. Mike brought over his Genelec 1029As so we have three sets of monitors for reference, then once we have a mix done we are also listening through a 1976 Pioneer Receiver with a little pair of JBLs to see how things are sounding in the living room. And he is also taking CDs out to his car. I can switch between the passive and powered monitors within Digital Performer because of the way that I have things routed in there, and it's a wonderful setup.

Grab an Adcom power amp and speaker switcher and add a bunch of cool speakers to it. Crap speakers, good speakers, Axioms, etc. And grab a pair of decent powered monitors (ADAM, Genelec, Event, KRK). Listen to music on your monitors and get to know them. I would also advise using a pair of headphones to check low end compared to favorite reference records.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:37 pm

homebody wrote:Wow. I have only been at this Tape Op message board for a few weeks and I hate it. Can you believe that there are people on here who have thousands of "posts?" What a waste of time. Having more "posts" doesn't mean your opinion is worth anything. You've been sitting on your computer bickering like retards over the quality of your monitors? C'mon girls.

Wow, indeed.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:58 pm

who is arguing? I just see an exchange of opinions.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:03 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:who is arguing? I just see an exchange of opinions.
I disagree!
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:01 pm

You should leave then. Bye.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:02 pm

KRK Rokit 5 G2 + sub served me well for a while, and my Adam A7's are very useful as well.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:18 am

Take it with a grain of salt, dude.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 am

ignore the troll, let's talk about monitors
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

okcrecording
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by okcrecording » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:21 am

Back to the topic at hand...a few months later.......

+1 on Yamaha HS-50. They sound like poop at GC. Try them near a wall, the low end comes out.....more.

Seriously though, they are very close to a powered NS-10 IMO. Every studio needs 2 pairs or monitors, a pair that has some low end, and a pair of NS-10's/ or HS-50's. :D

Not to turn this into another i love Yamaha thread, but i love Yamaha.

Im surrounded by it, 2 M512's, HS-50's, PM180, Yammy acoustic, Motif, they never let me down.