more and different gear, or just get an Antares?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ampguy
buyin' a studio

more and different gear, or just get an Antares?

Post by ampguy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:39 pm

So I am not the best singer, or most in tune. Should I keep trying different compressors, strips, or just get the Antares??

Am thinking of trying an RNLA, or ART voice channel.

But the Antares thing looks like it will fix some things.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:17 pm

I can't wait to hear you autotuned. I'm not saying you need it, but as an effect.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:46 pm

You could always buy the nice vocal chain and then farm out the pitch correction.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

ampguy
buyin' a studio

auto tune, and keys

Post by ampguy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:09 pm

The other thing I don't understand about pitch correction is let's saying I am singing in C Major/A Minor, but then I want to add some "jazz" inflections and sing a "doo wop" or "baby baby" off in a minor 7th or even another key.

How does the pitch corrector know I want to do this, and to not correct for those parts?

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Re: auto tune, and keys

Post by Dakota » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:28 pm

ampguy wrote:The other thing I don't understand about pitch correction is let's saying I am singing in C Major/A Minor, but then I want to add some "jazz" inflections and sing a "doo wop" or "baby baby" off in a minor 7th or even another key.

How does the pitch corrector know I want to do this, and to not correct for those parts?
It does not know. All your blues will be sucked out and placed in hermetically sealed baggies.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

so, use at mixing, not at tracking?

Post by ampguy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:43 pm

I prefer using at tracking time, but it seems like these would be more flexible during mixing.

What units are best for using at tracking time? Perhaps I can find one with a footswitch bypass?

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:51 am

you can download Reaper, and try the built in Reatune to see what a pitch corrector is like.

the one in Reaper lets you tweak a lot of things, including the scale, or even use an entire chromatic scale.

err, I mean or so I've heard, not that I've used an autotune... :oops:
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:09 am

Get a VOCAL COACH, they are less expensive, don't break in the middle of the session, require 0 maint., and you learn how to sing in pitch and with proper dynamics from then on IF YOU WISH and you can always go back to singing crappy after if you don't like knowing what you're doing.
Harumph!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: more and different gear, or just get an Antares?

Post by JGriffin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:11 am

ampguy wrote:So I am not the best singer, or most in tune. Should I keep trying different compressors, strips, or just get the Antares??

Am thinking of trying an RNLA, or ART voice channel.

But the Antares thing looks like it will fix some things.
Very likely, a different compressor will not help you sing in tune. However: voice lessons might.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:09 am

I vote for vocal lessons.

The hardware version of autotune is pretty useless. With the software version, you can correct the pitch without screwing with the inflection. That's not possible with the hardware version.

With the hardware version, you can attach a midi device up to it to step you through any key changes in the song. But it is still very heavy handed and sounds awful.

I still think vocal lessons are the best bet. Autotune can put the performance in key, but people who don't sing in key normally have other problems as well. All the Antares can do is take a crappy, out of tune performance and turn it into a crappy, in tune performance.

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:03 am

One thing you could do if you have a keyboard is practice playing the notes that you are wanting to sing on the keyboard, and then try to match those notes. Do this for a couple of passes, and then try to record the take.

If you have a MIDI keyboard, you can even play out your singing parts on a DAW (do this within the song you want to record), put a soft sound or a piano sound to it, and pan it either left or right. This way, when you record your vocal take, you will always have a reference to follow.
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:26 pm

auto tune is really not all that expensive, and you could also use the channel strip for more than just your vocals.

regarding your question....there are 2 different modes in auto tune. auto and graphical. in graphical you can literally "draw" where you want the note on the scale. this is of course the most precise way.

you don't have to overuse it to use it. in recent years, auto tune has gotten a terrible reputation, but it's one heck of a great and useful tool when you need it, and know how to use it effectively.

i do agree that voice lessons would be great in the long term; not only for recording, but just overall personal musical growth.

be wary of the opera types that want to totally change your voice. the best vocal coach will be the type that takes what you have and builds it.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

thanks for the tips

Post by ampguy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:32 pm

A vocal coach is out the question for now.

The tips on hw vs sw, and graphical mode, and MIDI is useful info.

I have tried singing while listening to a reference of in-tune (while recording only me) and it helped the tempo, inflections, but not all tuning issues.

One thing no one has mentioned or even thought of, is if I am singing in the right key. Some of the tunes I sing in a given key, because my guitar is just tuned there, but I can always tune down (2-3 steps without a major setup adjustment), or capo up. I usually have guitars around in about 3 tunings - standard, 1 step down, and 2 steps down, and a capo handy.

If I'm playing harp with the guitar, I like the D (2 1/2 steps down), because my favorite harp right now is a Marine Band F key harp.

So those are the constraints.

With auto-tune gear, one can order, try, and sell or send-back. With a Vocal Coach, well I wouldn't know where to begin. Are they on Craigslist under Services? That seems creepy. If ever, that option is way down the road.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:56 am

Even though a vocal coach could be a long term thing, just going to one and getting the basics down could cost you as much as the hardware autotune.

Pitch problems are generally posture/breathing/hearing problems that can be sorted out pretty quickly. It will still take practice, but you would be practicing the correct way...

google vocal coach in your area to find one.

You tune the guitar down to C? (two whole steps) That's pretty low (Black Sabbath is tuned to C#) Most of the time people who want to tune that low just get a 7 string (low string is B, a half step lower than C)
The key that the song is in has to do with the chords you are playing more than how the guitar is tuned.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

after some vocal practicing

Post by ampguy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:58 pm

and very important, finding the right key on the guitar and harp (guitar down 1 step to D, harp G)

www.tedm.com/mp3s/traces.mp3