ipod Touch + iPhone apps: whatcha got??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

ipod Touch + iPhone apps: whatcha got??

Post by metanoiastudios » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:32 am

I tried to find a dedicated post for this kind of thing, but couldn't. I just got an Ipod Touch as a wedding present (!!!), and am now on the quest of adding as many musical programs as I can...programs that could, perhaps, yield somewhat usable results back in the studio.

So far I've found hexatone (or hexa-something...it's the sequencing app from Dream Theater's keyboardist). It's pretty cool, as you can use your own samples to make some creative rhythms. You can record what you want, and export it as a .wav file to later insert in a DAW at home.

I know that there's a few "four-track" type of programs which I will be looking into once I get a mic for the iTouch.

What do you guys have in your iTouch/iPhone?? what apps have you found to be actually useful and not just fun?

Thanks!!
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:58 am

Obliqie Stratagies - Shake the iPod and a new card pops up.

Tap The Beat - tap tempo beat counter. very, very useful.

Guitar Chords

Pro Transport - transport controls for your DAW. Great for being able to hit record from the other side of the room or a different part of the house.

Lots of synth and drum machine apps -
NLOG Free, miniSynth, 8 Bit NEsynth, Retro Synth (stylophone), 8 Bitone (mario sounds), SpeakEZ (speak & Spell) , i808, Drum Tracker, iTR-909, Beat Sequencer Boombap, udrummer.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:29 am

istrobosoft. It's peterson's iphone tuner app. It's $9.99 but it's probably the best 10 bucks I've spent for music related equipment in the last 10 years.

L-ROX
alignin' 24-trk

Post by L-ROX » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:24 am

The main reason I purchased my iTouch was to be able to use a VNC program with it, to be able to transfer files to/from my "file transfers" PC when I'm somewhere else, so I'm using Jaadu VNC (also use it to control my DAW's plugins when mastering and I'm sitting in front of my speakers) as well as the Dropbox app. It's kind of cool to be able to "zoom in" on an effect and adjust the parameters, although I would like a finer tool, like a stylus to do this (still using a graphic tablet for this task and I would like to use a stylus with the iTouch as a remote instead).

I really like having the ability to check mixes and masters I've done for clients on my iTouch with the Dropbox app, without having to load the songs in iTunes, since I'm able to download files directly to it and give them that iPod "reference" check.

BTW, if anyone can recommend a stylus that works well, that would be great.

charlievela
gettin' sounds

Post by charlievela » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:16 am

I use SPL Meter and Oscillator all the time for doing calibrations and setting monitor levels as well as Tempo for live shows.

DJ_LBP
takin' a dinner break

Post by DJ_LBP » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:22 pm

Aura (cool ambient synth), RJDJ (reactive music generator, requires external mic if you are on ipod touch), and Mujik (fun step-sequencer) are my favorites. If I'm having a bad day, I can put headphones on my iphone and just turn on the Loopordist scene in RJDJ which pretty much just turns everything the mic picks up into glitchy hilariousness. Very cool.
Why not?

-Hunter S. Thompson

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:41 am

this is awesome! i've been trying to find some more good apps, but i dont realistically need a lot of synths on my phone. i need utilities like the ProTransport that was mentioned. i'm checking it out now...

i've been using: Studio Six's RTA, SPL, and Generator, Cleartune, Tempo (an awesome metronome with very flexible accenting), i808, and minisynth.

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:44 am

If you play guitar, mandolin, banjo or ukulele, Guitar Toolkit is amazing. Great tuner, chord library, including chords for alternate tunings, BPM sampler and metronome.

Great UI, too. For half the price of a simple Korg tuner.

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Post by audiosweet » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:16 pm

Does anyone have igog? I'm skeptic on it since i only have an itouch but it uses the mic from the iphone to "listen" to how hard you tap. It looks freakin awesome though

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Post by audiosweet » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:30 pm

I just grabbed this actually for the hell of it. 3 bucks and it's totally amazing.

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:14 pm

+1 on Tempo and ProTransport. Tempo is my metronome when I practice and I use the tap tempo to figure out bpm for recording. Transport has been awesome for recording myself - though I will say it was extremely flaky and buggy until I got a more modern router.

As far as synths go - I've used Bebot on four tracks in the past six months. It's extremely easy to use and pretty flexible for what it is. Also - the UI is brilliant. You can program it to play any combination of notes. Move your finger right and left for pitch and up and down for volume. It was a buck when I got it - it mayhave gone up since then.

Also - jasuto is an awesome little app that's still in the early stages of development. It's a totally automatable/customizable synth/sequencer with a GUI that looks like a map of distant universes. amazing for bizarre/glitchy noisemaking Was also a buck a few months ago.
tra la la

JefffM
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JefffM » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:29 pm

junkshop wrote:Obliqie Stratagies - Shake the iPod and a new card pops up.
Can't find this in the App Store.

Did you download it from somewhere else?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:28 am

JefffM wrote:
junkshop wrote:Obliqie Stratagies - Shake the iPod and a new card pops up.
Can't find this in the App Store.

Did you download it from somewhere else?
Nope but I got it about a year ago when I first got my itouch. Maybe it's gone now.

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:24 pm

Yeah oblique strategies went away for some reason. It's made by the same company as "ProTransport" and on their website it just says "Not Available."

Strange...
tra la la

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks a lot guys!
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*