Got a free Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24-8-2.. a few Q's

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Crocoduck5000
ass engineer

Post by Crocoduck5000 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:05 pm

chuckfurok wrote:I have the 16 channel version and I recently did some mixing on it, my first OTB mix I tried on it (been using the preamps for years). The mixes came out awesome! I kept thinking I needed to sell the board but now I am going to keep it for a long time, hopefully do some mods. I really wish I had the 24 channel version for more effects returns. I have a 002 with Digimax FS so I can get 16 channels out.
The Digimax looks tempting...would you say it's transparent enough if you use the preamps of the Soundcraft? (good converters?)

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:46 pm

it's pretty transparent, I use the inserts to bypass the preamps, which yields a bit lower level but works just fine. Though I definitely prefer the sound of the convertors in my BLA modded 002 to the Digimax.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Re-cap, re-cap, re-cap with Nichicons.

I had a Soundcraft Spirit Folio I re-capped and the veritable blanket of dullness was lifted.

Just do a single channel and listen to the difference. Pretty shocking.

Crocoduck5000
ass engineer

Post by Crocoduck5000 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:27 am

@?,*???&? wrote:Re-cap, re-cap, re-cap with Nichicons.

I had a Soundcraft Spirit Folio I re-capped and the veritable blanket of dullness was lifted.

Just do a single channel and listen to the difference. Pretty shocking.
I'm cheap so at this point dullness is relative! :D Plus I get a lot of good comments on my mixes with my Mackie alone so I don't want to take a financial plunge into something that I only use for my own band at this point...
</