Too Cold for my studio?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dbeck
audio school graduate

Too Cold for my studio?

Post by dbeck » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:18 am

I've been wondering if my basement has been getting too cold for the equipment. I'm in LA so it's dry here and it's not a humidity problem but there's no climate control down there. It's not below freezing but it's been down into the 40's.

Anything to be worried about?

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:52 pm

If moisture isn't a problem most electronics like to stay cool...

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:30 pm

There might be some instruments that have a problem with it, but I wouldn't worry about electronics. *Especially* if there's no humidity. You might want to bring your fiddle, acoustic git and your djimbe upstairs when you're not using them, for example.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

dbeck
audio school graduate

Post by dbeck » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:36 pm

Cool that's good to hear. Yeah there are some acoustic instruments down there. Can't really bring the drums upstairs though. There's a cheap acoustic guitar down there too and some electrics. Should probably loosen all those strings. Thanks guys.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:01 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote: You might want to bring your fiddle, acoustic git and your djimbe upstairs when you're not using them, for example.
But then you'd have to let them cool back down before you play them, so the tuning will stabilize. Of course, the warmth from your body...

On the other hand, here in MN, my bandmate wanted to store our (read that MY) gear in his unheated garage. I think that when the stuff goes from -40 to operating temp, even over an hour or so, there'll be metal expanding more quickly than plastic and all kinds of who knows what else going on. Naw, we'll keep it in the basement, thanks...

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:20 am

I'm honestly surprised your basement gets that cold. Anything under 4 ft. maintains a constant temperature of 50* - 55* year round.

Combine that with maybe a washer dryer and a furnace and you're probably maintaining around 60* most of the year. And at 60* you don't have to worry that much at all.