Where to buy new gear with a clean conscience?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:18 am

riantide wrote:
Those guys offer exceptional customer service, very reasonable prices, and will let you demo stuff. Seems kinda weird to judge an online retailer by any other criteria.
I'm an incredibly frugal who has bought almost every pieces of equipment used or at clearance/demo pricing, so I'm probably not going to be giving much money to anyone. I just don't like the way some of Mercenary's associates answer questions about products and services online. I know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I don't think a retailer should be allowed to call a company's product "shitty" and suggest you buy something else...something they happen to sell. Yes, I'm a big fan of Jim Williams and he does call out companies for design flaws in their products, but he's not associated with any companies except as a designer for RODE, Basson, and Rhodes (but he does not personally sell any of those products), and at least he offers solutions for ways to improve flawed designs. That's a better solution than "I would use that thing as a door stop, and buy this" type answers I've read.

And to your point, the other retailers I mentioned also offer exceptional customer service, the same reasonable price, and though I've never asked will probably let you demo a product or return something if you don't like it...but I don't get the same attitude.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:39 am

Most of my new stuff came from either Mercenary or Sweetwater. I've had excellent experiences with both. If I could get everything I look for from Mercenary, I'd probably go there exclusively. They're good guys over there, and very helpful.

Sweetwater does a good job too... night and day difference in customer service as compaired to GC or other huge companies.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:48 am

NOBODY'S gonna point out that BSW supports this board? Hell, there's even a banner right up there that you can click and they'll give you 10% off your order.

Weird.

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:04 am

I like the fact that a retailer is willing to let me know that a product is crappy. I don't have time or money to buy crappy gear, realize it crappy and then try something else and hope its good.

williamsongs
alignin' 24-trk

Post by williamsongs » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:23 am

Hey - thanks everybody, there's some good ideas in here for me to check out. It's nice to know that I am not the only one who gets that icky feeling when trapped in a retail hell when all you want to do is pick up some critial thing for your session/project/whatever.

I have bought three things from Sweetwater and all three of them needed to be sent back for replacement. A motu 828, an ART MPA, and a pair of C414s. Yes, all three were damaged or faulty. At least they're consistent. It was pretty annoying at the time.

I'm sure this wasn't everyone's experience, but than add to that the endless emails, calls and promotional mailings... I've sworn off them.

Thanks for the info!

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:25 am

williamsongs wrote: add to that the endless emails, calls and promotional mailings... I've sworn off them.
You can opt out of the emails... my salesman NEVER calls me... and I get something in the mail about 3 times a year.

I like their service and I like the fact that my salesman actually knows what he's talking about.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:28 am

Knew about MF, pretty obvious when you see some GC only brands there. Didnt know bout the other 2.
I use american musical supply as an alternative to MF. They carry a lot of that MI level gear. Some pro stuff, but sadly not a much as MF or BSW.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:52 am

You could always try out zZounds.com. Not a huge selection, but then everyone who works there are muscians and are willing to help.

Disclaimer- I work at zZounds answering phones! I really like my job. I honestly think that we care about helping people and do a pretty good job.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:56 am

MF sucks. Awful customer service, they sent me a broken mic one time, not in shipping mind you - at least the box looked perfect - just broken. They would not send a replacement until I sent the mic back and they received it and checked it in, like two weeks out money and out a mic. Around the same time I bought a soundcard from Sweetwater that had a problem, I told my sales guy and he had me a replacement soundcard the next day with a tag to send the defective one back.

As far as Mercenary goes, I appreciate the straight shooting attitude. However, years ago I sent them a couple of emails about the API four channel pre and monitoring it through a DAW. Looking back it was probably a stupid newbie type of question, but I was looking to drop $2500 on a pre with them. They never responded. Just to make sure it wasn't something with the email I followed up a few times and nada. So I said fuck it and stuck with Sweetwater and BSW and now Sonic Circus. The vast majority of what I buy is used anyway, but I am super happy with SW and SC. BSW is great too, but generally for utility type things; headphones etc. It would be great if there was a mom and pop type place around here but in Louisville there's not really a market.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:02 am

zZounds is good. FullCompass is good as well; although they have their good and bad salespeople, they're kind of like a less pushy Sweetwater in my experience.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:46 pm

yeah Sweetwater can be kind of pushy. In a GC kind of way. That and their prices are seriously nothing to write home about. Though my old bandmate swears he gets stupendous deals when he buys several things at once for his studio in Alabama. But then thats on credit sooooo. . .
Full compass has a LOT more variety of gear, but also prices are not so spectacular.
B&H photo has almost everything in the world except for actual guitars. Plenty of mics, etc with a stage/film/video kind of slant. The staff I have dealt with are knowledgeable and nice. Its also quite an experience if you ever make it totheir store in midtown Manhattan. Make sure to check out Azuri cafe which is somewhat close for out of this world middle eastern food.

Also gotta shout out to Leos Pro Audio in Oakland. They have held on by their teeth and are still there after all these years, though without the SF store. Rosemary has changed the direction of the business to be more MI oriented but they still stock all the fiddly audio geeky bits that GC doesnt.
Mark at the accessories counter is awesome. Like the Higgins of pro audio.
I have always wished I would win the lottery or something so I could shower that place with money and buy everything in there.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:04 pm

minorleagues wrote:I just don't like the way some of Mercenary's associates answer questions about products and services online. I know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I don't think a retailer should be allowed to call a company's product "shitty" and suggest you buy something else...something they happen to sell.
I can understand this, attitude-wise. Those guys definitely know what they like, but that's kind of what's awesome about them. When you buy there stuff it says "This is not a problem." on the box. Chances are, with the stuff they sell if you're recording...... the stuff you bought from them won't be a problem. If I was always peeking at their website when I started doing this stuff I probably would have skipped some of the junk I bought and later sold.

locosoundman
pushin' record

Post by locosoundman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:06 pm

Full Compass - simply the best.
"We have met the enemy and he is us"
- Pogo Possum

riantide
takin' a dinner break

Post by riantide » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:16 pm

FrontEndAudio is amazing as well, their customer service is tops and their prices are crazy!!

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:57 pm

Check out Grandma's Music. Local Albuquerque guys - they've been around since the '80s, survived GC coming to town. They're nice guys and they'll match anybody's prices. If they don't have something you want they can usually get it.