Where to buy new gear with a clean conscience?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

williamsongs
alignin' 24-trk

Where to buy new gear with a clean conscience?

Post by williamsongs » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:05 am

Hi, not sure which forum is correct, but anyway....

Anyone have a new gear vendor they love? Ever since Guitar Center drove every other retailer out of my area, I die a little every time I have to set foot in there to buy anything, but there's no other option left around here.

I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest prices possible, I'd pay a little more to patronize a cool resource. Will probably have to deal over the internet.

But where? I hated every ART device I have ever used, however after reading the latest tapeop and the VLA-2 review, I want one of my own to beat up!!

But, I can no longer run out and get anything on a whim, thanks to the local monopoly that is guitar center. Unless I want whatever guitar center happens to want to sell me. Arrggghhh.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:29 am

Call up Josh Sites at Sweetwater. He's a friend, a TapeOp'er, and one of the nicest people I know. He'll help you out.

Warren at Zen Pro Audio is extremely helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. He's really passionate about what he does and sells gear that he believes in, which is nice.

And, I can't remember who I dealt with at Vintage King, but he hooked me up with some great deals.

Never dealt with Mercenary because those guys come off a little "too cool for school" for my taste. I sort of view them as like the Urban Outfitters of pro audio equipment. They're just too "hip" for me.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

mn412
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mn412 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:33 am

Just dealt with wind over the earth small a small company in Co . Have nothing but good things to say about them. Prices were great. I highly recommend them.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:39 pm

I usually do online business with places like Mercenary and VintageKing. No mom and pop store fronts but they also seem like no bullshit places that sell great stuff at reasonable prices.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:23 pm

I have actually had great experiences with Sweetwater, yeah it's a big box retailer, but they have always hooked me up.

I just bought a Drawmer 1968 from Sonic Circus and they were amazingly cool to deal with.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:44 pm

Isnt Markertek in upstate NY?I have used them for years to buy everything from mics to cable/connectors to tape. They used to carry more audio stuff, but in general they are a studio oriented place, not a MI retail schmooze fest.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:51 pm

I've been wondering this too. It'd be so nice if I was actually able to go and try out a microphone before buying it. People say you can do that at Guitar Center, but due to their sanitation policies they won't do it, at least not at the Guitar Center near me. There's a Sam Ash that's just a little further away, but that's really no better than Guitar Center. Not to mention no store at all seems to carry about 75% of the gear I buy/look at. It's always a shitty feeling regardless to order something online from Musiciansfriend. I can't say I've had a lot of bad experience with them, I just feel like I like supporting people that I know care about what they're doing rather than big companies that make everything just a number. With music and design work I do, even though I'm not doing people favors/jobs for free people are still helping support local folks when they're working with me, and I like to return the favor as much as I can. Mercenary has always seemed like a good place to me but most of what they carry is higher priced than the level of gear I'm at right now. Vintage King is the same way. I'd love to find the GuitarCenter.com-with-a-soul. I've heard Sweetwater was better as someone else said. I mean hey they've got a letter from the owner guy in the front of their catalog, what's more sincere than that? Where the hell is a good place to go online? I've given up on actually being able to go to a store, try between a few things I'm looking at and take one, so I'd love to at least find a place online that doesn't just feel so dirty.

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:36 pm

Sweetwater doesn't really compare to GC. Much more personalized service and the people that work there actually know what they are talking about.

Also, try Woodwind & Brasswind (www.wwbw.com).

But yeah... Fuck Guitar Center.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:53 pm

I comparison shop at GC all the time. I havent spent money there since the 90's when some jaggoff tried to tell me they dont make 20 foot guitar cables with right angle plugs. Funny I owned one back then, have bough several since.
Note to GC jaggoffs, if a musician is over 30, dont try to BS them! They probably have been at it for a while!
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:03 pm

Also, try Woodwind & Brasswind (www.wwbw.com).
That's avoiding Guitar Center in name only. They're owned by GC.

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:04 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:I comparison shop at GC all the time. I havent spent money there since the 90's when some jaggoff tried to tell me they dont make 20 foot guitar cables with right angle plugs. Funny I owned one back then, have bough several since.
Note to GC jaggoffs, if a musician is over 30, dont try to BS them! They probably have been at it for a while!
They are like WalMarts and are everywhere... so they work well for comparison shopping... unless it happens like my most recent visit and when you ask to audition the monitors the idiot doesn't hook it up to a good audio source; instead he hooked it up to his iPhone and chose a song of his shitty band (like I know how that's supposed to sound!!) at about 96kbps...

I just walked away...

riantide
takin' a dinner break

Post by riantide » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:29 pm

minorleagues wrote:Never dealt with Mercenary because those guys come off a little "too cool for school" for my taste. I sort of view them as like the Urban Outfitters of pro audio equipment. They're just too "hip" for me.
Those guys offer exceptional customer service, very reasonable prices, and will let you demo stuff. Seems kinda weird to judge an online retailer by any other criteria.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:57 am

Warren at Zen Pro is great. Can't say enough good things about him.

There used to be a fantastic place in Texas called Studio Tech Supply. I haven't bought anything from them in a while and I'm pretty sure they were in the process of moving last time I talked to them, but their (not-so-great) website is still up. They were a terrific company who went out of their way to make thing happen for me on a number of occasions. I also used to get Christmas cards from them which I thought was extra nice.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:25 am

Studio Tech Supply sounds like a good place, but unfortunately their website actually is down (just says under construction - http://www.studiotechsupply.com/). I've been to Zen Pro before but never bought from them. Just the style of their site looked like some less-than-reputable companies I've seen. Maybe I'll have to give them a try.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:10 am

Just for the record, Guitar Center owns Musician's Friend, Woodwind and Brasswind, and Music123.com now.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord