Best Amp Modeler

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:21 pm

I've got an Award Session JD-10, J-Station, Line 6 KB37 with the full boat, Uad Nigel, TC Electronics Tubifex, Fender Vibrolux and others. They're all different, and do different things, but presets are just presets. More is merrier 8)
mrc

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:27 am

i actually like the sound of this thing a lot. even the presets sound good with this strat because it has a hot pickup.

the only problem i'm having is that i can't see gearbox or podfarm as a vst in cubase and therefore can't record. anyone know why this would be? i installed the plugin version of both.
Thank you, Mario, but our princess is in another castle.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:45 pm

Are you hearing the output in Cubase? I don't have that unit, but you should be able to record with it, try the line six forum. You'll like it a lot more when you start making your own presets as your ear develops.
mrc

Z-Plane
pushin' record

Post by Z-Plane » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:56 am

I'm gonna go for Vox Tonelab, with the caveat that you need to swap the tube out for an AU7 or similar lower gain model. The tube stage is not wired as any kind of traditional pre or post, and is prone to tinny clipping until swapped out. I can still find other gripes to moan about, but for me the general sound of the Vox is way more natural and usable than the other modelers I've used.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:58 am

Hi,

for hardware, I own the original POD 2.0,and an Electroharmonix English Muff'n. Both do their job good. I usually do not use the FX on the POD, instead just use the "head" and "cabinets" combinations totally dry, and apply fx later on. The English Muff'n is just like a "Marshall" type tube guitar preamp. Not a lot of sounds, but the tone is very very good. then I also have an old original Tom Scholz Rockman. This one only has 4 sounds,but they ALL kick ass.

For software, I own GTR 3.5 from Waves, and Eleven from Digidesign, as well as (Amp Pro in Logic only)

I like Waves GTR 3.5 the most out of all three software emulators.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:48 pm

the Tech 21 Liverpool and Blonde are both EXCELLENT.

the POD Pro i got in 2001 still sees some use, but like an earlier poster i also bypass the effects (tho the compressor is good) and tweak the settings up cos the factory programs are ass.

btw, Line 6 is blowing out the old style Floorboards (adds loads of functionality such as wah volume pedals among other things) for these at $50, but only if you buy direct. i ordered a spare back in October and it was at my door within the week.

i also have an X100 Rockman i bought in 1986. sometimes it's perfect, especially on the "Edge" setting with the compressor gain trimpot backed off and the chorus bypassed.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:04 am

i have some excellent pod X3 user settings if anybody would like them.

here's the link:

http://www.filedropper.com/lb-podx3-v1

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:04 pm

mrc wrote:Are you hearing the output in Cubase? I don't have that unit, but you should be able to record with it, try the line six forum. You'll like it a lot more when you start making your own presets as your ear develops.
mrc

No, I wasn't hearing any output. I think the problem might be where I installed the VST. But even after moving the .dll to the cubase/vst folder it didn't work, so I might try a fresh install. It's annoying.
Thank you, Mario, but our princess is in another castle.