reco for handheld digital recorder

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gtr_joe
studio intern

reco for handheld digital recorder

Post by gtr_joe » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:25 am

At work, somebody brought me an ancient microcassette recorder and wanted over an hour and a half of yapping digitized and burned to CD.

Excruciating long load into Pro Tools. Excruciating long bounce to mp3.

Anybody know of a butt-simple easy-to-use field digital recorder that doesn't cost a fortune. Better they should buy one of these than make me go through this again.

Thanks.
gtr_joe

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:41 am

For civilians use zoom h2

For hacks like me I like the tascams.
I'm a bad man!

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:36 am

Anyone have experience with the Tascam DR-07 as compared to the Zoom H2? Xmas gift time for my girl.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:23 am

I almost wish Apple would come out with one. The Zoom H4n I have is loaded full of features, but its menu system is just a pain to use. Not to mention the location of buttons, and button pushes required to do anything seem like afterthoughts.
It is hardly unique in this regard.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:22 am

Are you sure you have the H4n? the old H4 had a horrible menu system and the buttons were bad, but the NEW H4n is very easy to use and the buttons are easy.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:36 am

it used to be worse? wow.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

lyle76
takin' a dinner break

Post by lyle76 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:56 pm

I like the M-Audio Micro-Track. Intuitive interface.
"meow" - a cat

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:57 pm

justinf wrote:Anyone have experience with the Tascam DR-07 as compared to the Zoom H2? Xmas gift time for my girl.
Yes. Tascam DR07 makes an ugly "PING" sound with button presses at beginning and end of file. Bad handling noise. H2 looks cheesy as heck. Sounds OK, but menus are lame.

As for best sounding Handheld? Edirol R-09HR. Also intuitive. C'mon, it's Roland.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:42 pm

I used two h2s today to record a meeting (an interesting one -- bonus). One was used as a room mic with both sides engaged. The other one got passed as a token and sat in the lap. Lo-cut and AGC2 (speech) engaged on both of them. Works great. Now if they could just make HVAC silent, everything'd be great. (haha.) I made the recommendation for'em at work, and they were so much better than the previous cheap&cheesy versions they were using, it was an easy win. Oh, and 8gig SD cards rule.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:32 am

FWIW, the way I use the H2 (as in my H2 drum thread in the Listen to My Shite forum), is to just figure out how best to get what I need, and leave it set.

I think I'm at 44.1, 16 bit wave with the lightest compression setting, lowest input gain setting.

And I use 4 gig SD cards (generally record about 2 hours worth at a time) so I can rotate 'em.

The only wish I have is that it be EZier to mark a cue onnit - I have paused it before when trying to cue-mark and then lost performance ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.