THIS is a control room!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:40 pm

cale w wrote:Ahhhh Georgetown... So many great bars down there. I work at the Museum of Flight, on Boeing field, so I know the neighborhood well. Coolest perk of the (lame ass) job: Last summer I got a free ride on a WWII vintage B-17. Changed my life. Seattle looks great through a bombsite from 3,500ft ;)
awesome! I'm on ellis, down the street from squid and ink. I still need to visit the museum of flight.. for being a plane dork, its silly i've not been there yet.. lame ass job? that sucks... you know the job sit here.. so hang on to it.. i'm still "unemployed" lets meet up for beeeeers down at GLC sometime.. fucking love that place.. awesome food.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:05 pm

cale w wrote: Last summer I got a free ride on a WWII vintage B-17. Changed my life. Seattle looks great through a bombsite from 3,500ft ;)
Oooh! Cool! Do you remember what the name of the plane was? My college was right up the street from a warplane museum. I got to ride in their B-17 (Fuddy Duddy) a couple of times. Really changed my attitudes about flying.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:27 pm

Oooh! Cool! Do you remember what the name of the plane was? My college was right up the street from a warplane museum. I got to ride in their B-17 (Fuddy Duddy) a couple of times. Really changed my attitudes about flying.
Fuddy Duddy comes through once a year in the summertime also, but it was "Nine-Oh-Nine" that I rode on. Like an off-road bus ride at ten below the whole time... I rode up in the nose most of the flight, until like six douche clowns piled in there and I split for the back because I feared for the center-of-gravity/our safety...

Trodden! Roll up in the museum, say you're a friend of Cale (rhymes with whale) and that shit is FREE my friend. But don't eat the clam chowder, whatever you do.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:57 pm

We've got the 'Yankee Lady' up here flown by the Yankee Air Force. I've not paid the $300+ to fly in it, but I've walked through it. That catwalk through the bomb bay is functional at best. Couldn't imagine running through there in combat. Likewise, who the hell would want to be a ball turret gunner? Or a tail gunner? Holy crap.

The Yankee Air Force has a fully functional B-25 too, but the smaller those planes get, the less I'd want to ride in one unless it were a single engine fighter like a Focke-Wulf FW190D (TA-152) or Hawker Tempest. Raw power baby!

<---------Just like Peej!

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Have you checked it out? It's the first plane I've really looked forward to in a long time.
Yeah, I want two.

Maybe Behringer or some factory in Shanghai will make a cheap knockoff?
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:49 pm

Ohhh Nine 0 Nine is a beautiful plane.

The museum near me had (and has) a grass strip runway. The annual airshow was (and I'm sure still is) really something to see. We used to have all sorts of really cool aircraft flying over the school at odd (daytime) hours. I got so I could tell a Rolls Royce Merlin in a Mustang from the same engine in a Spitfire.

I've got lots of cool pictures...

Um, and since this is Tape Op after all, and just to pretend to stay on-topic, I think seeing what this group of people were able to accomplish with a tiny hangar in the middle of noplace was probably a source of inspiration for me in setting up my own studio. (I can think of at least two other people for whom I could probably say the exact same thing, too... kinda cool.)

www.andysmash.com

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:54 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:We've got the 'Yankee Lady' up here flown by the Yankee Air Force. I've not paid the $300+ to fly in it, but I've walked through it. That catwalk through the bomb bay is functional at best. Couldn't imagine running through there in combat. Likewise, who the hell would want to be a ball turret gunner? Or a tail gunner? Holy crap.

The Yankee Air Force has a fully functional B-25 too, but the smaller those planes get, the less I'd want to ride in one unless it were a single engine fighter like a Focke-Wulf FW190D (TA-152) or Hawker Tempest. Raw power baby!

<---------Just like Peej!

Yankee Lady is quite a plane too, although I've only seen pictures. And yeah... that bomb bay catwalk is just awful. Ball turret gunners had the lowest mortality rate of any B-17 crew member, by like .04%. 'Cause they were all scrunched up and made a smaller target. I got to ride to an airshow in Fuddy Duddy. This was before they had it all finished. We wound up having to duck through a pop-up squall... without modern instrumentation, so we had to stay below 5000' or something. It was quite an adventure. 55 minutes of "I'll never do this again as long as I live" followed by 10 minutes of pure aviation bliss.

Oh, and I was a volunteer, so I got to ride for free. :lol:

www.andysmash.com

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:19 pm

LazarusLong wrote:
thunderboy wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:My practical question is why does the pilot have to be 'left-handed'?
They don't.
Also, that joystick has a pretty 'fire' button on it. I did not know the Airbus A380 had any ordinance onboard.
It doesn't. That would be the autopilot disengage/sidestick priority button.

jt
Wait, were you sarcastically pretending to not have a sense for his sarcasm?

You accidentally created a recursive system that divides by 0... Now the internet is collapsing in on itself. My god! It's full of stars!!
Sorry, everyone. My bad. Ooooh - SPACE BABY!

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:22 pm

thunderboy wrote:Ooooh - SPACE BABY!

jt
:lol: i LOVE that book/movie.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:45 pm

That's 2010, right?

www.andysmash.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:18 pm

Judas Jetski wrote:That's 2010, right?
the Year We Make Contact.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:17 pm

dwlb wrote:
the Year We Make Contact.
Contact? Not until we prime the engine!

http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2009/02/h ... plane.html

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:05 am

well, yes, Space Baby is in 2010, but it's the culmination of 2001. Same as the line "My god! It's full of stars!".

[/nerd]
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:13 pm

I had a friend in college that was obsessed with that one phrase, "My God. It's full of stars." Over and over, at any possible occasion. I haven't ever seen the movie, but that one line will be with me until the day I die.

www.andysmash.com

Z-Plane
pushin' record

Post by Z-Plane » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:08 am

Judas Jetski wrote:I had a friend in college that was obsessed with that one phrase, "My God. It's full of stars." Over and over, at any possible occasion. I haven't ever seen the movie, but that one line will be with me until the day I die.
If your friend says it again, the correct response is

"ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS"

and true believers add

"EXCEPT EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE."