Mackie / Pro Tools Problem

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

findaguitarteacher
audio school graduate

Mackie / Pro Tools Problem

Post by findaguitarteacher » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:06 pm

I've been attempting to use my Mackie 1642-VLZ Pro as a mixing board in front of my Pro Tools M Box2. I'm running Pro Tools on a G5 with OS 10.4.11. When I go directly through the M Box, I have no problems at all with the rig.

When recording into Pro Tools through the Mackie there is also no problem. However, when I attempt to run the signal out of the M Box back into the Mackie, there is a very perceptible high-pitched whine - not feedback ... more along the lines of hum.

I've tried every conceivable configuration I can think of to rid myself of the problem but to no avail.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a way that I can use the Mackie as a recording mixer in the way I describe or could let me know if you think it can't be done giving the elements I'm using. If I've left out any details that would be helpful in your response, please let me know.

I've searched on Google and the Digidesign site but have found nothing relating to this problem.

Many thanks for your time and attention.

Chris
Chris -
findaguitarteacher.com

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:36 pm

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:06 pm

and are you using balanced (TRS or XLR) cables?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

findaguitarteacher
audio school graduate

Post by findaguitarteacher » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:12 pm

suppositron wrote:You sure it's not this?

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?nav ... egoryid=34
Suppositron - Thank you. I greatly appreciate your weighing in. Switching outlets reduced the whine about 75% - big improvement. I'll have to keep on tweaking - perhaps another outlet on another circuit might do the trick.
digitaldrummer wrote:and are you using balanced (TRS or XLR) cables?
Digitaldrummer - Thank you as well, I had been using balanced but am now using unbalanced because my balanced cables are in another location. I'm going to try using those again in combination with plugging the mixer into another outlet as suggested by the link Suppositron referred me to. Maybe the two in tandem will solve the dilemma.

Again, many thanks to both of you for your help.

- Chris
Chris -
findaguitarteacher.com

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:36 pm

Hey, no problem. If getting balanced cables back into your rig doesn't help it further I would try a better USB cable as stated on digidesign. One step further would be some kind of isolation transformer between your mixer and the rest of the setup.

findaguitarteacher
audio school graduate

Post by findaguitarteacher » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:21 pm

suppositron wrote:Hey, no problem. If getting balanced cables back into your rig doesn't help it further I would try a better USB cable as stated on digidesign. One step further would be some kind of isolation transformer between your mixer and the rest of the setup.
I'm grateful for the input. The isolation transformer sounds intriguing. I did a quick search that turned up a number of options within a wide price range. Would you have any recommendations?

All the best,

Chris
Chris -
findaguitarteacher.com

findaguitarteacher
audio school graduate

Follow-Up

Post by findaguitarteacher » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:22 pm

Just want to get back with the results of attempting to remedy the problem.

1) Plugging the computer into a separate AC outlet made quite a bit of difference - not totally eliminating the problem but significantly lessening the whine.

2) Balanced cables did not mitigate the problem, but I should be using them anyway

3) Using better usb cables didn't ease the problem

4) Inserting an isolation transformer into the chain, in addition to plugging into separate outlets, removed the whine completely

Thanks again for your help. I'm grateful.
Chris -
findaguitarteacher.com