Sound Workshop Logex 8 compared to other designs?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Sound Workshop Logex 8 compared to other designs?

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:47 pm

I've got a Logex 8 that I need to test out and I was wondering how it compare to their more popular designs, such as the 1280 and Series 30/34.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Danly
takin' a dinner break

Post by Danly » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:03 pm

I own a 34C.
Not positive about this, but,
I'm pretty sure that the logex 8 is similar to the 1280 and 1600 series..

the 34 and others are more like an otari concept elite type of thing. Much better in terms of routing and mixing capabilities (24 bus and 6 aux on my 34c), but transformerless and not so punchy. The eq would be good when I get around to cleaning and recapping. Definitely not poor man's api! It does look extremely impressive in my control room however and makes the studio look professional. I use it for tape returns on tracking and monitor mixes only :roll: (and drawing in customers)

I think the logex 8 might be a cool sounding board though.
Starlab

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:19 pm

I dug the manual out of the box of stuff I have to sell and it has transformerless input and output, so it might have more in come with your desk!
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

sloanfiske
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sloanfiske » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:57 am

logix was the evolution of the 1280 and had more in common with the series 20/30 FWICR. transformers no, but i believe discrete, and are simple enough to be modded.

i actually like the pres on the 34. not perfect, but theres something about them. and i agree, not a poor mans API. i wish the eqs had a little more meat to them at times, but not bad in a pinch. i unloaded a handful of outboard pres and used the 34 to track everything recently...sounds pretty good. i do think i'm going to mod a few input channels with I/O transformers on the pres and strap a pair across the master bus out. your pres should have 5534 ICs in them, which aren't a bad place to start.

good source of info or to ask questions:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/soundworkshop/
my parents drove it up from the bahamas

really

not really...the bahamas are islands