Any Interface Models include Logic as Freebie?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Any Interface Models include Logic as Freebie?

Post by Rolsen » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:19 pm

Thinking about getting an iMac and using Logic. Its not easy to search if any particular products, namely converter interfaces, include Logic as a bonus. Offhand, does anyone know any Apple-compatible interfaces (preferably one's with pre's, say 8 of them) include Logic? Even the 'lite' version? Logic is pretty darn expensive on its own!

Any magical, and economical, way to approach purchasing iMac/interface/Logic?

Thanks!

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:26 pm

Logic is a stand-alone, totally. Who knows, maybe a company is offering a bundle of sorts?

Logic IS $500, BUT you get all of the JamPacks and that $500 investment is truly enough to get some good work done. The only part of the chain that I think is a little weak is the stock limiters. Certainly not my favorites, but useable I suppose.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:19 pm

Academic discount? Buy used?

Otherwise, maybe Apple isn't your best bet if money is a primary deciding factor.

$500 gets you the Presonus Firestudio Project with their Studio One Artist software. It's Mac & PC compatible, and you can certainly find a worthy recording PC for not too much more than that price as well if you're smart about it.

Do you have a spare monitor, mouse, and usb keyboard? A Mac Mini with Logic Express starts at $800. You could pick up a used interface and be in business for about $1200.

Good luck.

And as someone who paid $1000 for Logic Pro 7, then was forced to pay another $200 to upgrade to Logic Studio because of a need to be compatible with a client, my heart bleeds for you all day long about how Logic Express is $200. :twisted:

sleep over jack
ass engineer

Post by sleep over jack » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:04 am

For ultimate cheapness, you're probably better off getting an M-Box w/ PT LE

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:03 am

sleep over jack wrote:For ultimate cheapness, you're probably better off getting an M-Box w/ PT LE
+1. And that's a highly useable cheapness.

I use ProTools for work and Logic when I want to play. But that's just me personally.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:27 pm

Thanks!

I don't need to keep it all under $1000 or anything - I'm just a bargain hunter like anyone else! Unless pursuaded to otherwise, I'd like to take the plunge into Apple land with the iMac, as it seems more bang-for-buck than the Mac laptop. It also seems that, with care, this could be somewhat portable - at least to the practice space or friend's living room.

Its too bad you can't buy an interface between $500 - $1000 that comes with some form or Logic.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:57 pm

How many inputs do you need? Apple teamed up with Apogee for integration, that's their hardware match up.

human-tim
audio school

Post by human-tim » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:13 am

I'm contemplating the same imac/logic/interface set-up.
I'm kind of stuck on the Apogee thing right now. Duet doesn't have enough inputs for me, but Ensemble is $1800. Wish they had something in between.

I'm hearing scary things about Presonus drivers. Leaning towards MOTU.

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:31 am

Gentleman Jim wrote:And as someone who paid $1000 for Logic Pro 7, then was forced to pay another $200 to upgrade to Logic Studio because of a need to be compatible with a client, my heart bleeds for you all day long about how Logic Express is $200. :twisted:
I just sprayed my screen with coffee after reading this line due to the laughter it brought... I had a similar experience to yours, Jim. I upgraded from Logic Express 7.0 (when it was $299) to Logic Pro 7.2 a week before 8 came out... an upgrade of $700... Sure, Apple hooked me up with a "free" copy of LP8, but I really payed out the nose for it as LP7.2 never even got installed on my machine. Fun stuff! Gotta love it...
:x
insert witty comment here...

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:15 am

Get a used ensemble. Always one on gearslutz and ebay has 'em for cheap too.