Recording song with slow, acoustic solo intro?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Post Reply
Poprocks
audio school
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:26 pm

Recording song with slow, acoustic solo intro?

Post by Poprocks » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:07 am

I'm trying to figure out the best way to record a song that starts off with a slow solo acoustic part, and then the band joins in. And when I say "the band", I mean multitracked parts of myself. Listen to "The State I Am In" by Belle & Sebastian for a good example of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soMbZ7eLKlM

Here's the issue: I'm trying to figure out a way to handle the tempo change between the slow and the fast part. I tried using two click tracks of different tempos and it sounds *OK*, but the slow part sounds too rigidly on-the-nose. I want the speed to be more liberal and I want to be able to add pauses, etc. In other words, I don't really want a metered time for the first part, but I do for the second part.

Can anyone think of any creative ways of doing this, apart from recording live (which I may just need to bite the bullet and do to get the sound I want...). Perhaps some kind of pedal could work, where I have a click track at an uptempo speed start when I tap the pedal, and have that record dynamically as well, making that my "click track" for the uptempo part.

What do you guys think?

signorMars
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 741
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 12:30 pm
Location: El Paso, TX

Post by signorMars » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:11 am

record it in sections and splice it after the fact.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

User avatar
LazarusLong
steve albini likes it
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: the cobwebs of your mind

Re: Recording song with slow, acoustic solo intro?

Post by LazarusLong » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:14 am

Record it live then go back and make a tempo map later if you must. If you're concerned about the song locking to a click for the B section, make that part a separate take with a click track.

This can be once session in ProTools, just use the tempo map!

Happy recording - these projects are a fun challenge.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist
Posts: 6437
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 11:15 am

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:27 am

signorMars wrote:record it in sections and splice it after the fact.
yeah. just record the first section without a click, as free as you like, let the last chord ring long so you have some room to maneuver when editing. then just splice that onto your second section. should be easy.

User avatar
jgimbel
carpal tunnel
Posts: 1688
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:51 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by jgimbel » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:18 pm

I have songs like this frequently. What I generally do is record the first part with no click, then maybe overdub the end of that part WITH a click, and find a spot I can splice the two together that isn't obvious - it often just sounds like the player is picking it up a bit, which adds a little build before the band comes in. Then record the rest of it to that click. Always worked for me.

Poprocks
audio school
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:26 pm

Post by Poprocks » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:02 pm

jgimbel wrote:I have songs like this frequently. What I generally do is record the first part with no click, then maybe overdub the end of that part WITH a click, and find a spot I can splice the two together that isn't obvious - it often just sounds like the player is picking it up a bit, which adds a little build before the band comes in. Then record the rest of it to that click. Always worked for me.
Yeah, I think I'll do it this way. I was originally adverse to using separate takes because I didn't think the transition would sound smooth enough, but I think that with a bit of trickery it won't be too hard. I actually think I *won't* let the chord ring, because I want it to sound like it's the same guitar player/part just speeding up, not like a second player has entered the scene.

User avatar
JGriffin
zen recordist
Posts: 6739
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:44 pm
Location: criticizing globally, offending locally
Contact:

Post by JGriffin » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:15 pm

Poprocks wrote: Yeah, I think I'll do it this way. I was originally adverse to using separate takes because I didn't think the transition would sound smooth enough, but I think that with a bit of trickery it won't be too hard.
Listen to Radiohead's Paranoid Android for a great example of cutting a song together from separately recorded sections that are at different tempos. I think it came out pretty smooth. You can do it.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
vvv
zen recordist
Posts: 9052
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 8:08 am
Location: Chi
Contact:

Post by vvv » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:21 pm

Let's say you want 1 minute of slow before 3 minutes of the the fast.

Lay down the fast click on another track with about 1 minute of silence before it. Use 3.5 minutes or so of the click.

Start the slow part over the silence; when you get to the click, just gradually ease into sync.
bandcamp; vlayman;
THD; Geronimo Cowboys;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

User avatar
Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5004
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:34 pm
Location: Lake Arrowhead California USA
Contact:

Re: Recording song with slow, acoustic solo intro?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:09 am

Poprocks wrote:I'm trying to figure out the best way to record a song that starts off with a slow solo acoustic part, and then the band joins in. And when I say "the band", I mean multitracked parts of myself. Listen to "The State I Am In" by Belle & Sebastian for a good example of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soMbZ7eLKlM

Here's the issue: I'm trying to figure out a way to handle the tempo change between the slow and the fast part. I tried using two click tracks of different tempos and it sounds *OK*, but the slow part sounds too rigidly on-the-nose. I want the speed to be more liberal and I want to be able to add pauses, etc. In other words, I don't really want a metered time for the first part, but I do for the second part.

Can anyone think of any creative ways of doing this, apart from recording live (which I may just need to bite the bullet and do to get the sound I want...). Perhaps some kind of pedal could work, where I have a click track at an uptempo speed start when I tap the pedal, and have that record dynamically as well, making that my "click track" for the uptempo part.

What do you guys think?
Don't use a click?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 89 guests