OSA Pres: where's the love?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

riantide
takin' a dinner break

OSA Pres: where's the love?

Post by riantide » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:57 pm

A couple friends of mine have now said that they've tried one or two OSA pres and really liked them. I'm buying a bunch of gear next month and plan to include two channels of 500 series preamps, so naturally I was curious about the OSA stuff.

I was doing some research and on both this forum and GS and with few exceptions all I was able to find were postings in the FOR SALE area of both forums.

This is not a good sign.

Does anyone have any experience with the OSA modules, positive or negative, that they'd like share? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

snatchman
george martin

Re: OSA Pres: where's the love?

Post by snatchman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:16 pm

riantide wrote:A couple friends of mine have now said that they've tried one or two OSA pres and really liked them. I'm buying a bunch of gear next month and plan to include two channels of 500 series preamps, so naturally I was curious about the OSA stuff.

I was doing some research and on both this forum and GS and with few exceptions all I was able to find were postings in the FOR SALE area of both forums.

This is not a good sign.

Does anyone have any experience with the OSA modules, positive or negative, that they'd like share? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
..I have OSA pres ( (2) L-3s (1) Mutant L ..I think they are good sounding pres..They are as their name implies, Ole School..! They are not hi'fi/modern sounding, but they are detailed.The L-3 is very big sounding.. They fit/sound right along sides the other pres in the rack ( Great River, API,etc..) that I have..Sounds good to me..!.. Good luck.. 8)

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:02 pm

I have a pair of the mutants (older version without the separate in/out control). They sounds great and really love a shure SM7! Two thumbs up here!

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:15 pm

jspartz wrote:I have a pair of the mutants (older version without the separate in/out control). They sounds great and really love a shure SM7! Two thumbs up here!
Hey Jason. Do your older mutants have 2520 opamps in them..?..I've tinkered with the ideal of having the op-amp swapped in one of my L-3s to see if there's a difference in sound.. :P