Best Audio Interface, <$500 MacBook - USB or Firewire

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tmcw
audio school graduate

Best Audio Interface, <$500 MacBook - USB or Firewire

Post by tmcw » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:36 pm

So, I'd like to get a 'real' audio setup going. I don't need huge features - I think I could live with two audio inputs (like the apogee duet), but what I really care about are, first off, stability (of drivers, mainly), and quality, both hardware and audio. What should I go for? I have a Presonus FireBox and have been sorely disappointed with the red-light issues that have cropped up there. Do you think my new MacBook Pro might alleviate those with a stronger Firewire bus? I really like the Apogee Duet for its simplicity, but would go for less shine / cachet if something was a lot less expensive...

Any ideas? Thanks!
All-platinum-hits EP: http://frenchletter.bandcamp.com/

sad iron
tinnitus

Re: Best Audio Interface, <$500 MacBook - USB or Firewire

Post by sad iron » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:32 pm

tmcw wrote:So, I'd like to get a 'real' audio setup going. I don't need huge features - I think I could live with two audio inputs (like the apogee duet), but what I really care about are, first off, stability (of drivers, mainly), and quality, both hardware and audio. What should I go for? I have a Presonus FireBox and have been sorely disappointed with the red-light issues that have cropped up there. Do you think my new MacBook Pro might alleviate those with a stronger Firewire bus? I really like the Apogee Duet for its simplicity, but would go for less shine / cachet if something was a lot less expensive...

Any ideas? Thanks!
I don't think you're going to find anything better than the duet for a lot less money. you already have an interface you're not digging. I say get the duet and be done with it. I've heard nothing but good about them and if I was looking for a 2 channel FW interface, that's what I'd buy in a hot minute.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:45 pm

I had a Firebox. I now have a Duet. The Duet blows away the Firebox in every way--pres, converters, drivers, etc. If you only need 2 inputs, it's a huge step up from the Firebox.

meldar produxshunz
gettin' sounds

Post by meldar produxshunz » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:02 pm

isnt there a new apogee "solo" out?
waaaaaaaam...doggy.
http://matthewmeldonguitar.com

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:44 pm

meldar produxshunz wrote:isnt there a new apogee "solo" out?
It's called One, and I have , well, one. It's cool, but not 2 channels or FW, as the OP requested. Same converters and pre. Very nice, just not what he asked about.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:00 pm

I've been using a Duet since they came out in 2007 and I love the thing. It sounds great and is simple to use. The drivers are totally rock solid on both of my PPC Macs (G4, G5). It's not my only interface but it does get a lot of use around here.

The preamps still blow my mind.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

meldar produxshunz
gettin' sounds

Post by meldar produxshunz » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:38 pm

off the subject a bit, but i have an ensemble which i am pretty happy with. but to be honest, i havent used the built in pre's since i got a few outboards...chan germ and aea trp. do you guys like the enemble/duet pre's for any source in particular which i am missing out on?
waaaaaaaam...doggy.
http://matthewmeldonguitar.com

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:48 pm

I am sure the Apogee Duet is a fantastic bargain for an apogee, but you arent getting apogee pro level clocking and conversion at that price. Just the brand name and conversion that tops out at 24/48. I've said it elsewhere, I am pretty dissapointed that apogee is diluting its brand with so many feature-stripped MI level interfaces. I mean christ they all top out at 48k, dont have spdif and you are forced to choose between speakers hooked up or headphone out.
If I was in your shoes I would get motu ultralite or used 828MKII. MOTU has always had solid drivers on the MAC side.
Alternately I would track down an Apogee mini me AD-USB or Metric Halo ULN 2 used. The MinimeAD with USB was a great idea, it had AD and DA and was a neat bundle of features, so it had to die right? The metric halo stuff is pretty neat and I am surprised it doesnt get more attention.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:42 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:I am sure the Apogee Duet is a fantastic bargain for an apogee, but you arent getting apogee pro level clocking and conversion at that price. Just the brand name and conversion that tops out at 24/48. I've said it elsewhere, I am pretty dissapointed that apogee is diluting its brand with so many feature-stripped MI level interfaces. I mean christ they all top out at 48k, dont have spdif and you are forced to choose between speakers hooked up or headphone out.
The reason for this is the these products are based on the TI TAS1020B USB audio interface chip, which is limited to Full-Speed USB.

There is no simple High-Speed replacement for this device. (I've looked.) The next step up is a BridgeCo device which is more expensive and has more features than the price point supports.

Another option is for Apogee (or whoever is building the product) to roll their own High-Speed USB interface in an FPGA either with or without an external controller. Add it all up and it gets expensive really quickly.

Oh, yeah, Windows versions < 7 simply don't support the USB Audio Class 2.0 specification and as such High Speed USB audio doesn't work out-of-the-box. (USB Audio Class 1.0 does not support high-speed isochronous transfers.)

As for the clocking, I assume that you mean external word-clock sync, right?

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:47 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:I am sure the Apogee Duet is a fantastic bargain for an apogee, but you arent getting apogee pro level clocking and conversion at that price. Just the brand name and conversion that tops out at 24/48. I've said it elsewhere, I am pretty dissapointed that apogee is diluting its brand with so many feature-stripped MI level interfaces. I mean christ they all top out at 48k, dont have spdif and you are forced to choose between speakers hooked up or headphone out.
If I was in your shoes I would get motu ultralite or used 828MKII. MOTU has always had solid drivers on the MAC side.
Alternately I would track down an Apogee mini me AD-USB or Metric Halo ULN 2 used. The MinimeAD with USB was a great idea, it had AD and DA and was a neat bundle of features, so it had to die right? The metric halo stuff is pretty neat and I am surprised it doesnt get more attention.
The Duet is 96K. It sounds fantastic. The clocking is stellar compared to something like a stock Digi 002 or MOTU 828mk2. It may not be the same clocking technology as the top of the line Apogee stuff, but trust me, it totally eats everything else that I have heard in this price range (stock MOTU 828, 828mk2, Digi 002, Tascam, Presonus, M-Audio, etc) in regards to sound quality. I love this little box.

I also have a Black Lion Audio modified MOTU 828mk2 which I love. It has the old clock mod from 2006. Comparing both of these units' D2A, they are slightly different. The Apogee has a slight bit more air. They both sound really great. I'm interested in hearing the differences between them once I send my 828mk2 back to Black Lion, have the clock mod removed, and can sync it to my Black Lion MicroClock MK2.

Anyway, if you only need two inputs, the Duet is the deal. The preamps are clean and sound really nice, you can hook up any preamp to the thing via line level, it has two nice sounding DIs (all software switchable), and it is small portable, bus-powered, and the big dial is handy for mixing. It has it's short-comings as well. No MIDI. No clock output. Headphone amp output is the same as the main outs, but both can be used simultaneously (as in you can use speakers and the headphones or mute one or the other). However, I've learned to work with these things and for remote or home laptop recording, it is the bee's knees. Most of the time when I work remotely, I get a sound, check the speakers, and work off of headphones while tracking. Using the Duet is no different than using my MOTU 828mk2 in this respect, except that I can take almost everything that I need for remote overdubs with me in a single computer bag, sans rack.

If you need more than two inputs, I highly recommend the MOTU 828mk2 for a Mac. Like calaverasgrandes mentioned, the drivers are solid. They can be had for under $400 everywhere these days, and the Black Lion analog mod is fantastic. You could get one, then mod it, then grab the MicroClock MK2 down the line. However, if this is overkill, stick with the Duet. You'll love how great this thing sounds.

If you grab one, grab a case and an extra breakout cable (just in case) or grab the Duet Breakout Box.

Also, don't worry about the FW400 to FW800 deal with the new Macs.

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff White on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:11 pm

sorry about that, I guess I confused the specs of the duet and the "one" (and I thought the toyota matrix was a retarded name).
It is a shame that BLA doesnt do and upgrade on the MOTU ultralite.
That would be nice for a high quality portable interface.
The Metric Halo uln2 is kinda big and kinda expensive now that I price checked it!

On a related note I was just peeking at the info on the discontinued apogee Minime. Apparently they have drivers for windows! Damn! Now I really really really want a firewire minime!
Damn you ebay!

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:40 pm

Andy Peters wrote: Oh, yeah, Windows versions < 7 simply don't support the USB Audio Class 2.0 specification and as such High Speed USB audio doesn't work out-of-the-box. (USB Audio Class 1.0 does not support high-speed isochronous transfers.)
I'm not sure I understand, does this differ from XP in this regard?
I know it works fine with my Zoom H4n as an interface.

About highrate audio over USB, I do recall that my previous NI Kontrol interface did high sample rate over USB. 88.8, 96 even 192. And was Only $300 or so.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:19 pm

I just saw a completed auction for a Metric Halo 2882 for $650. If that's the trend, that is a disgustingly sick deal. And by sick, I mean filthy and dope...

...meaning awesome.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Holy shit. That is amazing. I hear nothing but great things about Metric Halo.

Jeff

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:36 am

Another happy Duet user here. Their customer support for a consumer-level product has been great.