Ultratouch R Rating

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

aaronaustin
takin' a dinner break

Ultratouch R Rating

Post by aaronaustin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:23 pm

We just moved and I'm renovating the basement for my studio. I'd like to go the ultratouch route this time. Anybody know what R Rating I should get for bass traps? I'm gonna need a lot of this crap. I've also got a section of ceiling I took down (it was textured and the rest was flat). Gonna cover that section with ultratouch too I guess.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:32 am

Aaron, the R rating just refers to the thickness of the ultratouch. For bass traps (ie, in corners) go as thick as you can, I like to use a 16" wide strip of R13, with a 24" strip of R19 over it.

The rear wall should also get thicker traps. For first reflection points you can use the 3.5" thick stuff (R13).

I love Ultratouch, but it's really floppy and doesn't hold it's shape well. It's hard to get it to look good. You'll need to build some decent frames to hold it in place.

aaronaustin
takin' a dinner break

Post by aaronaustin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:40 pm

Thanks so much. That helps a lot.

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:05 pm

it also indicated coarse language, violence and possibly nudity....

sorry... I know that was lame but I couldn't help it
theGeek

Springload - Juice Rock
Tremor Christ - Pearl Jam Tribute

Shouldn't you be practicing?

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:39 am

I got the 3.5 inch ultratouch and it does great at taming bass. Get it.

Ted White
ass engineer

Post by Ted White » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 pm

ON a wall vs IN a wall...

In a sealed cavity, standard fiberglass works as well as anything.
Soundproofing Company

dubh dubh dubh
gettin' sounds

Post by dubh dubh dubh » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:04 pm

JWL wrote:...

I love Ultratouch, but it's really floppy and doesn't hold it's shape well. It's hard to get it to look good. You'll need to build some decent frames to hold it in place.
Great stuff, the Ultratouch. I'm doing v. similar to JWL with thick 24"w over a 16"w layer in corners of my new temporary space, which is faaaaaaar from ideal dimensions. Funny little 1960 house with those fold-up closet doors in all the bedrooms; wife and I prefer the rooms with the closet doors removed. We were wondering where to store the dang things, and she had the brilliant idea to use 'em opened flat 45 deg. across the corners with the U-touch draped over them!! Ceilings 8'h, folding doors 7'h. U-touch lengths go to floor either side.
With an additional $4 roll of the thinnest u-touch folded over the top of the doors & thicker layers, goes within an inch or so of ceiling. Awesome stuff for lack of itchy fibers, etc. & fire/mold resistant. Hah, I'll post a pic or 2 sometime, got it draped around the ceiling fan I'll eventually remove for a cloud above listening position. Actually looks kinda cool too. easy to glue the stuff to cheap plastic garden lattice, use some scrap 2x4 bits as spacers & hang from wall like a painting for killing 1st reflections etc too.

Makes for a surprisingly neutral room, about $300 all told & keeping post-industry scraps out of the waste stream too.
http://tinyurl.com/fbookDUBH and

I mix/engineer/produce/reduce & make gear heinously misbehave in delightful ways.

parkinson's:it's not just for grannie anymore.
http://www.michaeljfox.org/living.cfm