pro tools session files mac/pc compatability

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

madrex
pluggin' in mics

pro tools session files mac/pc compatability

Post by madrex » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:14 pm

hey a dumb question here, but i've never tried transferring mac to pc and i think i'm gonna pick up an mbox 2 this week so i can work on some projects i've tracked on a mac. Do pc's easily read and open pro tools session files? Usually I just export all the wav files and open them with cubase, but these sessions still need comped and sifted and I dont wanna even bother transferring all that to cubase to chop up....

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:40 am

Broadcast .wav files are typically standard for any platform or software.

Opening Pro Tools sessions on a PC that were created on a MAC is contingent upon whether they were created checking the "Maintain Mac/PC compatibility" box at the time the session was created and also, if that was done, then making sure you have at least a version of software that is the same or newer on the PC to be able to open them.

L-ROX
alignin' 24-trk

Post by L-ROX » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:55 am

I just had an odd issue with this. I'm using PT (LE) 8 on a WinXP machine and got a PT session that was done on an old PT TDM rig and I was not able to work with the session because all of the audio files were SDII's.

The notification I got from PT was that it was going to automatically convert the audio files to .wav, but this did not happen. After about an hour of it trying to convert the files, I ended up with blank regions.

The only way I was able to convert the files was to open the session on a Mac, and do a "Save Copy In..." and choosing .wav as the target file type for the copy of the sesh, so even though my Windows version was supposed to translate the files, it didn't.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:04 pm

L-ROX wrote:I just had an odd issue with this. I'm using PT (LE) 8 on a WinXP machine and got a PT session that was done on an old PT TDM rig and I was not able to work with the session because all of the audio files were SDII's.
SDII is strictly Mac.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:29 pm

SSL Pro Convert

still waiting on PT8, but some truly useful software none the less.

These transfers carry most automation data.

It will also update PT5 sessions to PT7 sessions, and it can open and convert SD2 files.

Check it out
http://www.solid-state-logic.com/Music/ ... /index.asp
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

L-ROX
alignin' 24-trk

Post by L-ROX » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks for the link! The funny thing (I thought) was that PT on my PC said it was going to convert the SDII files to .Wav but it failed to do so. I also tried loading them (to convert them) into another session but it then just gave me the "file is unreadable by Pro Tools" message when highlighting the SDII files.

EDIT: The SSL package converts Cubase and Audition sessions, I'm sold!

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:00 am

L-ROX wrote:Thanks for the link! The funny thing (I thought) was that PT on my PC said it was going to convert the SDII files to .Wav but it failed to do so. I also tried loading them (to convert them) into another session but it then just gave me the "file is unreadable by Pro Tools" message when highlighting the SDII files.

EDIT: The SSL package converts Cubase and Audition sessions, I'm sold!
Yep I just converted a PT5 session file to Steinberg XML (Nuendo/Cubase), and it did the SDII to Broadcast Wave conversion very quickly. I Also converted the same project to PT7 so I could open it on PTLE if need be.

Warning: Pro Convert does not support Pro Tools 8 yet.

Software like this will always be a work in progress, so be patient with updates. SSL seems very committed to keeping up with changes.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho