But WHICH Joly LDC?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kingmetal
buyin' gear

But WHICH Joly LDC?

Post by kingmetal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:01 pm

I'm looking to upgrade my main general-purpose vocal mic, and while I was going to ask you all if there were any non-Michael Joly modded mics out there that you'd recommend in the $600 range, after spending the better part of a year with my Joly-modded MXL 991s, you'd have to be a serious smooth talker to convince me that I can get a better bang for my buck than a Joly-modded LDC.

So the question I pose to you all is which one?

So far I'm looking at:

-Oktava 319 w/ Premium Electronics + Floating Headbasket ($549 from Joly)
-The MJE-47H "Mono" head capsule on a MXL 991 w/ Premium Electronics (~$550 all said and done)
-The Apex 460 mod w/ MJE-47 capsule (~$650 all said and done)
-The MXL V69 mod w/ MJE-47 capsule (~$550 all said and done)

I'm looking for a general purpose vocal mic for male and female vocals. I tend to do a lot of folk/indy type young vocalists and my main complaints about my current vocal recordings is that they sound a bit harsh. I'm currently using an AKG Perception 200 as my go-to vocal mic and a R0de NT1-A as a backup.

I'm not necessarily married to the idea of a tube mic, but I'm leaning towards either the Apex 460 or the MXL V69 mods since they seem to have gotten a lot of praise. I really can't decide between the two and I'm curious if the $100 difference would be noticeable to me.

The MJE-47H capsule would be the cheapest option for me right now, since I could technically hold off on buying the modded 991 since I have two already (with the excellent modified capsules), so that would be the 'safest' option but I'm willing to fork over the cash if it makes that much of a difference. This option would probably encourage me to buy another mic for my locker sooner rather than later.

The 319 is on my list because it seems to be very well respected, and I could just buy one straight from Joly -- I certainly like the convenience of that option. It also has a certain aesthetic character that I appreciate. I know it's dumb, but you all know how artists get about how mics look -- mics like the 319 mics have the 'wow' factor that can add that extra 2% to a performance that I just can't ignore completely.

I figure I can't lose any way I slice it, but I'd love some input from the TOMBers.

Oh, and just for the record I've running very bland pres (stock Yamaha 01V96 V2 pres) into a MOTU 828MKII. Nothing special there, but the vocal mic is the weakest link in the chain still.

Slau
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Slau » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:24 pm

I've had a bunch of things modified by Michael and I'm totally happy with them. For what it's worth, in that price range, the Rode K2 Tube is a fabulous mic and definitely worth checking out. It isn't based on a K47-type capsule so it's marginally brighter but not brittle like some other mics in that price range.

Slau

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks for the tip, I'll check the K2 out a bit and see if it grabs my attention -- I suppose I could be convinced to buy a non-Joly mic!

GetHimEatHim
takin' a dinner break

Post by GetHimEatHim » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:29 pm

The Joly MXL V67G is a total sleeper mic.... it *keeps winning* in shootouts I do on male vocals, even when it's up against the Joly 460. Incredible mic.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:31 pm

GetHimEatHim wrote:The Joly MXL V67G is a total sleeper mic.... it *keeps winning* in shootouts I do on male vocals, even when it's up against the Joly 460. Incredible mic.
Ahhh! See THIS is the kind of information I was looking for! You own both then I take it? Is there anything else that sets them apart like build quality or anything like that? I know that Joly's work is top-notch from experience, but does one feel like it will survive better versus the other?

EDIT: Ooops! My brain totally just parroted V67G when I meant V69 -- this is an intruiging development as the V67G mod would be significantly cheaper than even the MJE-K47 capsule.

Now I'm thinking that maybe an MJE-K47 caspule and a V67G mod would be more the way too go -- still could probably get in under the $600 mark and I'd end up with two excellent mics. Is the V67G really that good? Anyone else use it?

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:09 pm

Not to complicate things further, but in that price range you also have the AT 4047, 4050, an SM7, and if you can find an old Groove Tubes MD1.

It's good to have too many options.... right?

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:18 pm

losthighway wrote:Not to complicate things further, but in that price range you also have the AT 4047, 4050, an SM7, and if you can find an old Groove Tubes MD1.

It's good to have too many options.... right?
Minus the Groove Tubes mic, that was pretty much my exact list (plus the Bluebird and a used 414 ULS). The SM7 is tempting because it was one of the first mics I ever remember really having an opinion about when I sat through my very first session back in the day, and I can't deny that the general consensus on the 4047 4050 are mighty good -- but I bet a Joly mic would still be a better bang for my buck.

Although that SM7 would probably be perfect on the guy I record most.

CURSE YOU $600 PRICE RANGE!

How awesome is it that we have all these options now? Now if only I could have a room that could keep up with my gear...

hopeless_opus
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hopeless_opus » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:44 pm

For $600 you should easily be able get an SM7 and a complimentary LDC. Unless there's a $600 mic you are sure you want, I'd go that route.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:51 pm

hopeless_opus wrote:For $600 you should easily be able get an SM7 and a complimentary LDC, unless there's a $600 mic you are sure you want, I'd go that route.
I agree -- now I'm stuck with too many options in the ~$350 range. Do I want the SM7 and a Joly-mod 67G, or the SM7 and the MJE-47H? Or do I want to skip the SM7 altogether?

OR IS THERE SOME SECRET OTHER OPTION?

The OCD creep in me is going to have a field day with this.

hopeless_opus
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hopeless_opus » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:12 pm

What about an SM7 and a Bluebird or maybe an AT4040. You don't HAVE to buy a mic and have it mod'd by Michael Joly. Not that that's a bad option.
Last edited by hopeless_opus on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:18 pm

hopeless_opus wrote:What about an SM7 and a Bluebird or maybe an AT4040. You don't HAVE to buy a mic and have it mod'd by Michael Joly. Not that that's a bad option.
Very true, but I really would like to. The pair of MXL 991s that he tricked out for me get used every single session I do and I'm never disappointed in them (only in the quality of my artists performance, or the quality of their instrument, or the quality of my mic technique). Besides, I'd rather be paying a guy like Michael Joly (who has actually gone far out of his way in the past to help me specifically) in This Economy than Blue or Shure.

But I do appreciate your input! Which would you suggest of those if you had to go and buy a set of general use vocal mics?

EDIT: didn't catch your edit. That seems like a pretty awesome combo at this point. I'm way curious about that MJE-47 capsule though!

hopeless_opus
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hopeless_opus » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:27 pm

If you're set on getting one of Joly's mics, then an SM7 and a mod'd V67g would be around $600. You could also get a used SM7 and pick up Joly's K47 cap for your pencil mic.

I don't think you're considering any bad options.

hopeless_opus
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hopeless_opus » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:29 pm

lol, I didn't see that you saw my edit.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:37 pm

hopeless_opus wrote:lol, I didn't see that you saw my edit.
haha yeah, being chained to my desk at work is making me a bit jumpy at the posts and edits.

I wish I was considering some bad options so that I could narrow things down. This is going to be an expensive year.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:46 pm

Gentlemen, I've said it before, but I feel its true so I'll say it again. Don't buy Chinese mics. Buy German, buy American, or buy Japanese. Chinese mics will never hold their value. If you have to modify it to sound good why not just buy a mic that sounds good in the first place?
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.