Blue Microphones...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bniesz
takin' a dinner break

Blue Microphones...

Post by bniesz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:33 pm

If price was no issue, which Blue Mics would you pick to add to your arsenal and why?
Any you would look to pair?

Pick as many as you like, but don't go overboard.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:51 pm

I haven't tried the super expensive ones, but i really love the one dragonfly that i have. Strings, vocals, acoustic and percussion. Haven't used on drums/room yet, but looking for another one to do that. They have a unique freq curve that just works for some things.

Next up, many will have positive things to say about the mouse, and debate old vs. new, transformers vs none.

For not much $$ the kickball is super fun.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:58 pm

As predicted, I have only used the mouse but it's a damn nice mic I would recommend. You can get them used for around $600. They rule and if you do a search you will see tons of info on them.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Byll
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Byll » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:47 pm

I use a pair of Dragonflies with two GAP Pre73s. They work so well on so many things - vocals, acoustic guitars, strings, etc. I would gush more, but I fear sounding like an ad for both companies.
Cheers.
Bill
'Everything Matters'

Lisa Diane Cope
1963-1979

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:53 pm

I have tried a ton of them and the only one that is totally amazing is the Mouse.
BUT:
the mouse is seriously incredible. I personally think it is the best microphone BLUE ever made.
I dont really like any of the tube mics they make, though I tried to like them.
The mouse, WITH the xformer (black body) is completely killer.
I have a very low serial number (i think its 0079) mouse and I really cherish it.

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:38 pm

the mouse is an excellent utility microphone. it works in so many applications. we also have a pair of b6 capsules for our akg 451s. they are also extremely nice mics, but aren't as versatile. they are big with a hyped high end sparkle (not edgy) while the mouse is more mid forward. i was pretty underwhelmed by blue's dynamic models and some of their low cost condensers.

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:18 pm

llmonty wrote:
For not much $$ the kickball is super fun.
I know you're probably not concerned much for their cheapo mics, but this quote is true. The kickball was my first dedicated kick mic ($70 off ebay) but lately it's been seeing a lot more action. It's the instant metal guitar cab mic because of it's built in eq craziness. It does interesting things to snare drums that can work well sometimes, if you want a snare to sound like someone hitting an anvil with a mallet. It's a large diaphragm, PHANTOM POWERED dynamic, which is just weird. If a dense buttrock mix has a trombone solo, this is your mic of choice for said horn. Screaming vocals? Yup. Makes kicks sound cartoonish but cool if you're after that unrealistic sound.

It's drawback is that it's output is insanely fucking hot and it obliterates preamps unless you you keep the trim lower than out think is professional. For instance: When I first used it in front of a kick drum ( about 6" of the front head), I had the gain knobber on my 003 completely off and the transient still clipped on every hit. WTF?

teleharmonium
pushin' record

Post by teleharmonium » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:27 am

I'm a big fan of the Baby Bottle for horns, vocals, and bass and guitar cabs. And I have been liking the Bottle Rocket Stage 1 either with B7 or Neumann Gefell M7 caps for vocals (that's all I've tried them on thus far). They have produced the best vocal sounds I've gotten thus far with my own gear.

I've already got those. If I was going to add more with money no object, I suppose I'd get a Bottle, or one of the multi pattern mics. But I haven't heard them, so that info isn't too useful.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:29 pm

Love the Mouse.

Not so much the Baby Bottle.

The actual Bottle is a beautiful mic, but not very vibey. When the source sounds spectacular in the room, this is the mic I want to use.

I've heard terric recordings done with the Dragonfly and the Kiwi.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:15 pm

Dragonfly. I want one for falsetto singing and hats.. i have a bluebird that i love, mainly because it's the first mic i ever bought that i spent more than a hundred bucks on. i really like it with my sytek pre's

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:19 pm

I sold my babybottle. It was ok, but I have other mics I like better.

I want a mouse.

I heard the Cactus was the mic on that Jimmy Page/ Alison Krauss record that T-Bone Burnett did. It sounds pretty classy there (probably through a Neve).

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm

I just watched the new Star Trek movie last night and there is a scene where everyone in this big ass meeting has their own Blue Mouse mic. If it's good enough for Kirk, its got to be good enough for me.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:18 am

T-rex wrote:I just watched the new Star Trek movie last night and there is a scene where everyone in this big ass meeting has their own Blue Mouse mic. If it's good enough for Kirk, its got to be good enough for me.
I saw that like two weeks ago. Cracked me up.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:23 am

T-rex wrote:I just watched the new Star Trek movie last night and there is a scene where everyone in this big ass meeting has their own Blue Mouse mic. If it's good enough for Kirk, its got to be good enough for me.
My girlfriend was pretty pissed off when I insisted on telling her this in the cinema, while she was trying to listen to the dialogue.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:25 am

Mind you, if she was averse to geeky comments she probably shouldn't have gone to see Star Trek.