Drums

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Drums

Post by magritte » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:03 am

Hey guys.

Can anyone suggest good drum software for creating electronica/hip hop (and some rock) beats? Something with a really low learning curve and versatile sounds (e.g. do a lot of lo-fi recording so i'd like that option) is preferred.

As far as beats, I like the sound of bands like Mum, Broken Social Scene, Beck, Death Cab, etc.

My setup is Cubase, a decent Dell PC, Windows XP pro.

Thanks.
Thank you, Mario, but our princess is in another castle.

Crocoduck5000
ass engineer

Post by Crocoduck5000 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:32 pm

I know you mentioned low-learning curve, but I have to recommend Reason. In the beginning of my recording engineering (which was mostly lo-fi), Reason came with all of the tools to make really cool beats. The coolest part is that the tools in Reason allow you to manipulate any of their patches to make them sound like your own every time. I remember that MGMT's Oracular Spectacular was made mostly with Reason instruments (all of their songs started as Reason files). My ex-girlfriend listened to Mum a lot and I remember trying to emulate some of their drum sounds with good success with Reason plugins alone.

Not to mention, Reason looks a lot scarier than it actually is...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Drums

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:07 am

magritte wrote:Hey guys.

Can anyone suggest good drum software for creating electronica/hip hop (and some rock) beats? Something with a really low learning curve and versatile sounds (e.g. do a lot of lo-fi recording so i'd like that option) is preferred.

As far as beats, I like the sound of bands like Mum, Broken Social Scene, Beck, Death Cab, etc.

My setup is Cubase, a decent Dell PC, Windows XP pro.

Thanks.
Fruity Loops. Next to no learning curve. Crap sounds, but hey, you get what you put into it!