Is it kosher to ask for deposits back?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Is it kosher to ask for deposits back?

Post by alex matson » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:58 pm

About two years ago, I ordered a Valvetech Hayseed. I put $150 down, and got a call from the guy about six months later that he was ready to start on it. I asked him to hold off, as my Rickenbacker had been delivered to the place where I ordered it and I needed to raise almost two grand for that. He told me to let him know when I was ready.
That was over a year ago. Now that I'm downsizing, I don't think I want the amp. There's no statement about refunds on the website, so I thought I'd ask here before calling the guy. I can appreciate that he's a craftsman and may not be swimming in dough - but I don't want to just lose the money if it's not a problem.

Anyone with an opinion?

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:26 pm

I would say if he hasn't even started it then it wouldn't hurt to at least ask. No sense in just letting someone have $150 if it was just in the discussion phase.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Isn't this exactly why people ask for deposits in the first place? The way you describe it, sounds like you flaked. Deposits are insurance against flakes.

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:01 pm

If you look here:

http://www.valvetechamps.com/order.htm

it clearly says "non-refundable"
theGeek

Springload - Juice Rock
Tremor Christ - Pearl Jam Tribute

Shouldn't you be practicing?

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:48 pm

thegeek wrote:If you look here:

http://www.valvetechamps.com/order.htm

it clearly says "non-refundable"
Wow. All I need is some Twilight Zone music. I just looked at that page before posting this, and didn't see that. Bold print even.

Good catch.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:08 am

It still wouldn't hurt to ask. Six months is a long time for him to make first contact. Did you know it would be that long?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:14 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:It still wouldn't hurt to ask. Six months is a long time for him to make first contact. Did you know it would be that long?
Yes, six months is a long wait time, but telling him to "hold off" for a year is even longer.

Ask, but I wouldn't expect to get it back.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:42 am

yeah, most likely not getting it back... getting the deposit is insurance against people dropping their orders, and also, generally people will only make a deposit if they intend on following through.

it's also pretty tacky to ask for the deposit back... i would just get the amp, then sell it if you don't want it. but, who knows, he could have another customer who wants the same amp, so it saves him building time. but as a small builder, i'm sure that your deposit didn't go into a escrow account, it probably went right back into supplies to build an amp...

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:16 am

A deposit is a good idea if any amount of time or resources went into even schematics, but I still think if the extent was just a phone call then you should at least try - even if he posted a disclaimer. That's just what I would do. The worst that will happen is he'll get mad and still be $150 richer.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:05 am

Toaster hit it on the head. It does seem kind of lame. I'm going to let it go. I'm sure the money was spent long ago. I think I spoke to the guy's wife at first, and I can just imagine how patient she probably has had to be if experience is any guide. At $1150 per amp (I was just getting a head), the guy's probably not getting rich.
As always, thanks everybody.

I don't want to resurrect my navel-gazing thread, but I'd like to report that getting rid of some of the excess stuff around here has been a good mental exercise. The piano and organ don't seem to be calling to anyone, but I don't really want to get rid of them anyway - in a strange twist, I've met a woman who has a thing for old electric organs, so I'm kind of taking that as a sign. The grand I'd get from the sale would be gone quickly.

But I hope to come back from Japan with just a few instruments and a back to basics approach.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:23 am

I know from having friends that build stuff like this that when you place an order they probably work this order into the parts they are ordering and such. It sucks when they do this and then the order gets cancelled.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks, Larry. You're right. Maybe someone else here might want a Hayseed head and could take it over? That would be good for both parties. But as for me, I'm not going to try for a refund.