all lost in the "chinwa ribbon" supermarket...ADVI

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

brownplus
studio intern

all lost in the "chinwa ribbon" supermarket...ADVI

Post by brownplus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:58 pm

i like my beyer opus81 for vox and my pv 520i, ev 260? something cheap! for guitar amp and have owned lots of other mics including beyer m500 ribbon and ldc's sdc's....but, can anyone suggest a CHEAP decent ribbon for rounding out my now-small stable...mainly for guitar(amp) and vox. I have read so many ribbon mic reviews my head spins....and think its down to the mxl r144 or apex 205/nady version...again for male vox and guitar ONLY! Just for a different flavor.
thanks so much, im gettin a icepack for me head.

oh yeah, have 7th circle and focusrite pres with gain to 68-70 so that should be good for whatever ails me...
i can't look back at all the stuff i sold...its like looking back at worldcom stock sold the day after

small amps. big strings and single coils

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:17 pm

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:10 am

If you can build some 7th circle pres why not build yourself a ribbon?

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:25 am

The Nady RSM-4 for $79 at musicians friend is pretty hard to beat.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:30 am

JWL wrote:The Nady RSM-4 for $79 at musicians friend is pretty hard to beat.
+1. I got mine used from a music store for $50 (I jumped on it because I don't know when I've ever seen a ribbon mic in a local music store - they thought the figure-8 sign was the model number). Also let me avoid worrying about ribbon sag. I use it all the time, great on guitars, and I use it as a room mic for guitar, drums, and vocals constantly.

brownplus
studio intern

thanks all

Post by brownplus » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:19 pm

thanks to all the input 9notwithstanding artifex)...MJ...i read your guide last week...very informative, and i would actually prefer the oktavas as Ive had some and just like their alien "look" but $$ compels now and its high time I got (and kept) a chinese mic.

artifex....dont ya think putting together a kit VS building a ribbon mic is a bit different? A monkey (me) can solder in parts, getting parts and micro-measurements and special tools would kind of defeat the purpose? Don't think MJ here would have much of a clientele if it were that easy.
i can't look back at all the stuff i sold...its like looking back at worldcom stock sold the day after

small amps. big strings and single coils

nortstudio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by nortstudio » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:31 pm

I got a pair of the Nady RSM-4s and had them modded (they sounded pretty damn good before the mod) - I love these mics.

There are times that I feel guilty about picking them over MUCH more expensive mics that I have - strictly because we are conditioned to feel that more expensive is better.

Definitely worth a look.
"If you've never f*#ked up a punch - you ain't working." www.freqControl.com

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: thanks all

Post by Artifex » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:30 am

brownplus wrote: artifex....dont ya think putting together a kit VS building a ribbon mic is a bit different? A monkey (me) can solder in parts, getting parts and micro-measurements and special tools would kind of defeat the purpose? Don't think MJ here would have much of a clientele if it were that easy.
Simply put, no. It's a valid question; ribbon mics are very simple designs. Our own ubertar has been making them for people for awhile now (in fact, I believe he is even selling kits now). The concept is simple and implementation is inexpensive, it's worth considering if you had enough knowledge and enthusiasm to assemble a 7th circle kit. I wasn't trying to be smarmy or anything, that's for sure.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: thanks all

Post by ubertar » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:10 pm

Artifex wrote:(in fact, I believe he is even selling kits now)
Just to keep this from becoming potentially misleading... I'm not selling kits, but once the second generation uberribbons are available, I'll be selling ribbon motors separately to those who want them that way, with or without transformers. So, not exactly a kit, but separate components that you could put in your own enclosure. Or just get a complete mic.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:45 pm

Killer article, Michael! Thanks!
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.