What's the best bang for buck for multiple pre's in 1 space?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

What's the best bang for buck for multiple pre's in 1 space?

Post by NewAndImprov » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:46 pm

I've been doing a fair amount of remote recording lately. I currently have a MOTU 828 and 8pre in a 3 space rack, and a 10 space rack with my good preamps (SCA, Neve 9098, etc). The MOTU's together give me 10 channels of preamps, and I still have at least 8 channels of analog ins to the 828 I'm not using, as well as another lightpipe port.

I'm thinking if I put something with 4 or 8 pre's in the rack with the MOTU's, I could cover most, if not all of the gigs I've gotten, and have less gear to schlep and set up. I don't mind the preamps in the MOTU's, have considered just getting another 8pre, but thought that something better would also be cool. The Sytek is looking like my best option, at 4 channels in 1 space. Is there anything with 8-channels in 1 space that is appreciably better than the MOTU? And under a grand or so?

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:00 am

I use a Yamaha MLA7 8 channel 1 RU mic pre. I paid about $50 for it.
I did extensivly modify it but it's usable out of the box.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:46 am

Well In my experience (what I?ve actually listened to) the Mackie 800r can be had for under a grand new, and most likely under 600 used. I think those pres are far superior to Mackie VLZ, Mbox (Focusritre Platinum) or any M-audio or Pre Sonus multi unit.

You can also use the ADAT to get into your Moto 828.

Good luck
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:50 am

I heard good talk about the Studio Projects 8 channel pre being good for remote/live work...

snoopy23
gettin' sounds

Post by snoopy23 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 am

IMHO, The ART Tubefire is a pretty decent unit, 8 chennels of tube pre amp using an individual tube for each channel. And it lightpipes right into your adat. I have used it many times for tracking right to tape with pretty good results. it has pretty good control over the sound and when the tubes are saturated it gives a good crunch without falling apart like some other strip pre's. Good luck!
Drummers might not be the smartest, but we are probably the strongest!

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:17 pm

Under a grand, the Mackie 880 R is tits.

But if you bite the credit card hard and git yerself a True 8 chan unit, you'll be very very happy.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:04 am

If you're going for quality and only need 4, Syteks are definitely worth the price. I unfortunately do not own any myself, but I love them and will be buying them if I ever have the money after getting some nice outboard gear and/or a mixer.
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

4080ag
audio school graduate

Post by 4080ag » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:38 am

yeah I second the ART Tubefire8. There is another thread about it here.. I posted some info about it.. search for that thread if interested.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:09 pm

If you want nice clear pre's with a lightpipe option check out the Presonus Digimax D8. I have one that I use as the adat input for my 003, mostly for drums and my talk back mic. There actually pretty decent for the money, and I got mine for under 200 b-stock. Plus it has pads, nice for drums.

For standard pre's, the Sytek is the best thing I've seen for under a grand.

I'd look at the Daking Mic Pre IV if you have a little more to spend. It's like the sytek, but has pads too. I saw a used one for under $2000, but I know that's alot to spend.
Last edited by ott0bot on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:57 pm

I would say the original Presonus digimax 96k. The one with the enhance buttons and lightpipe/spdif/AES outs. The pres are pretty decent and are supposed to be the same as the MP20/M80.
I havent heard all of the other presonus units but the smaller/cheaper boxes I have heard were kinda dinky sounding.
I really want to check out the new cheaper digimax D8 and FS and really want it to sound good enough at line level to use to hook up more stuff. Really, I am an old Louisiana boy and would rather buy products from a post Katrina Louisiana company than anyone else.
I didnt like either of the octopres I got to use.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:26 pm

BTW..Someone's selling an Audient ASP8000 w/Adat out in the FS forum.. A little over $1000 ($1200 but sells new for around $2000 I think), but I've heard great things about it and I have heard the pres in the Audient consoles that sound really good..!.If I was looking for an 8-channel with Adat out, this would probably be the one..!..Good luck... 8)

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:09 pm

If you want to spend a little more the API 3124 is the best quad mic pre I know of.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:24 am

losthighway wrote:If you want to spend a little more the API 3124 is the best quad mic pre I know of.
I agree, and it is also a favorite of mine.

But a little more? :shock:

I had to take a Lammas class before I bought it.

Ouch!
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

chrisp2u
audio school graduate

Post by chrisp2u » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:34 am

snatchman wrote:BTW..Someone's selling an Audient ASP8000 w/Adat out in the FS forum.. A little over $1000 ($1200 but sells new for around $2000 I think), but I've heard great things about it and I have heard the pres in the Audient consoles that sound really good..!.If I was looking for an 8-channel with Adat out, this would probably be the one..!..Good luck... 8)
Thanks for the plug... that's mine. It's a really nice, clean/transparent 8 channels of pres, and the DI's on the first 2 channels are really nice too. I've used the Mackie and it's very nice for the price as well, but these Audients are easily a step (or 2+) above, IMHO. The customer service has been fantastic when I've required it as well.

The only downside is that you can only do 44.1/48.8 with this unit since it has the older A/D out ADAT card (and not upgradeable to the new version). The newer version has S/MUX allowing you to do 96k. If that's not an issue, this unit is a fantastic deal at this price.

Best of luck in your hunt.
---
c

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:50 am

snatchman wrote:BTW..Someone's selling an Audient ASP8000 w/Adat out in the FS forum.. A little over $1000 ($1200 but sells new for around $2000 I think), but I've heard great things about it and I have heard the pres in the Audient consoles that sound really good..!.If I was looking for an 8-channel with Adat out, this would probably be the one..!..Good luck... 8)
We've got two of these racks for a front end on our digital live system and we also have a small 12 channel console based on the same preamp design. Great value. Great company. The rack pieces have lots of extra features per channel if you can dig the really tiny switches.