Other Happy Mellowmuse ATA Users?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Other Happy Mellowmuse ATA Users?

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:50 pm

Are other folks using Mellowmuse ATA and digging it? I've only used it a tiny bit, but it seems to fix Pro Tools LE latency issues. Be careful if you have a delay plug-in though!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:05 am

DIG it!
took a while for me to figure out routing for some more complicated setups ITB, but once you've got a template set, all works dandy. just bypass your delays and such, so as not to confuse the ping. You lose a plugin instance to it... but that's what audiosuite is for.
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:01 am

I've got some ITB home mixing going on. I'm gonna get that thing in
the next couple days and I'll chime in.

SkullChris
takin' a dinner break

Post by SkullChris » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm very happy not to be doing math, and overly complicated routing while attempting to mix, but it seems to only work at 512 samples for me. Which is kind of a drag when I've got a shit ton of plugs running, and I keep being stopped and told to increase my buffer size.
"Live to Win!"
brieflives.bandcamp.com
lubec.bandcamp.com/
hexmachinery.blogspot.com/

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:53 am

It took me a minute to grasp the routing of it all, but being able to use 23786501782 latency-free UA Roland Space Echos and Pultec EQs in PT LE is worth it! It just seems odd to have more busses than audio tracks in some projects...

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:38 pm

I've been doing more and more out the box mixing, and printing seprate effect tracks to avoid latency and nudging, however if this can compensate for the latency when using aux tracks OTB and save time I may invest.

I've seen how it works for plug-in delay ITB, but when using hardware how effective is it when say printing a live vocal with an aux for reverb? If it really solves the problem, I'll be a happy man.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:17 am

Anyone care to elaborate on using mellow muse with Aux sends, or sending tracks to outboard gear? I viewed the tutorials, but there isn't a specific section on this.

I'm super interested if this can really correct LE's latency problems on sends, not just plug-ins.

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:08 am

it does work and work well. the issue is... add a plug in, bypass delays/ turn off UAD card, go all the way over to the master ping again... repeat. its a flow killer.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:52 pm

I bought it, used it, then switched to mixing in Reaper. I wasn't comfortable with having to set it up and ping all the time. It also freaked out on me in front of a client one time (admittedly it was probably user error on my part - and if it was a bug, its probably been fixed by now as it was a pretty new product at the time).

I started to track and edit in Pro Tools and then export my tracks to mix in Reaper. As time goes on I find I'm more and more comfortable with mixing in Reaper. I consider Reaper to be my Delay Compensation Toolkit for Pro Tools.

gnmm
audio school

Post by gnmm » Fri May 21, 2010 5:37 am

bantam wrote:it does work and work well. the issue is... add a plug in, bypass delays/ turn off UAD card, go all the way over to the master ping again... repeat. its a flow killer.
The lack of ADC in PTLE is the flow killer - ATA just attempts to make it as painless
as possible by taking all the math and manual set up out of the equation.

You don't even have to use ping - you can manually enter the total latency of the track you are changing into the ATA of that
track at it will change all other instances to compensate automatically.

btw: Nudging is of no use when you are using sends with latency.
Gary Newby
Mellowmuse Software