Sennheiser HD202 repair

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Sennheiser HD202 repair

Post by goldstar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:45 am

Anyone tried to sort the conductors in the cable in a pair of these cheapo's? They have a separate wire from each ear cup instead of a 2 conductor with ground cable.

I've got the conductors separated, but the inner signal wire and outer ground don't appear to have anything shielding them but nylon filament within the cable jacket. Am I missing something or are these a lost cause?

Thanks.

Frank

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:52 pm

Further micro-surgery has produced the separate conductors within each 1/16" earcup cable; my problem appears to be within the drivers, not the cables.

By the way: anyone have a suggestion for a fine gauge wire stripper for cable like this? There must be something easier than a No. 11 Xacto knife.

Frank

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:48 pm

Howdy Frank,

I've probasbly owned a half dozen strippers over the years, and I feel that my current crop are the best I've ever owned.

The first in line is an Ideal Stripmaster, a little multi-lever action handheld thingy. You squeeze the handles, it clamps the wire, then the blades close, then the blades swing out, taking the insulation off. As you release the handles, the blades open and the clamp releases before the baldes swing back, so you can get the wire out before it gets crushed. They're American made and run about $35. One thing to watch for is that while you can get them at Home Depot, that model comes with the 12/14 ga blades. If you get them from an electronics shop, they'll come with blades for finer wires.

The next one is a Teledyne Stripall. It uses electrically heated blades to melt through insulation...and it's useful on stuff like coax, where the Ideal doesn't fit.

The last line of defense is a plain ol' razor blade.
don't appear to have anything shielding them but nylon filament within the cable jacket.
Is one of the wires coated with lacquer?

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:18 am

Thanks for the suggestions, Byron. The wires are just devilishly small.

We need to have a Denver/Boulder TOMB rendezvous, don't you thinK? I've made contact with a couple of new acquaintances who we could include.

F