What did you work on this week 1/10 - 1/16?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

What did you work on this week 1/10 - 1/16?

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:47 pm

I think a "what did you work on this week" instead of "what did you on today" would be a nice weekly post. So, what did you do this week?

I had two 12 hour days on Monday and Tuesday recording the Del McCoury Band with Bobby Hicks for a film soundtrack. We knocked out 13 tracks! Wednesday Ronnie McCoury and I spent the morning doing some rough mixes, and listening back I wasn't happy with all of them and they were wildly inconsistent in volume (we rushed through them) so Thursday night I had to clean up the studio anyway and ended up staying at the studio until 2 AM getting some really good roughs of everything. I dropped those off today, and went back to the studio to set up for band that coming in tomorrow called Good Luck Ola. Tomorrow will be the two singers, one who plays guitar and mandolin, and the other plays piano/wurlitzer, and a banjo player. We'll be building on the songs from there. I think it will turn out great, they have a Emmylou Harris meets Wanda Jackson thing going on. Here's the set up I've got:

Vocals: SM7's > Universal Audio 2-610
Wurlitzer: SM57 > Universal Audio 6176
Mandolin/Guitar: Neumann KM84's > GML 8304
Banjo: Neumann U87 and KM84 > GML 8304
Upright piano: AKG C460B's > Presonus M80

I'll post some clips on Sunday.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Made mix adjustments for the song, Positivity, by Red Pony Clock. They posted the unmastered mix on their myspace: www.myspace.com/redponyclock .

I think the coolest thing about the mix is the guitar at the beginning. I ran it through a Fisher Space Expander spring verb and a Yamaha analog delay.

The strings are kinda cool too. Real saturated. They are a mix of a real violin and a synth violin mashed together with a distortion plug-in.

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:10 pm

Recorded a local folk trio, "Gin Mill Julep." Upright bass, mandolin, and accordian, all 3 sing.

Recorded over the weekend, on location in a beautiful old church building on the Saco river. Used 10 mics total, including a main stereo pair, room mics, and a vocal and an instrument mic for each performer.

Since then I've been mixing as I get time, just about done tweaking the mixes.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:18 pm

I did some tracking for one of my new songs. I did a rough mix and posted it over hear: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=68726.

check it out if you have time.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:10 am

Monday and Tuesday I mixed two songs for a local church band's album. Modern Christain rock stuff. Wednesday, I did some percussion overdubs and vocal comps on the new Public Good record, since we're down to the last stretch of trying to get it finished. I also made extra DVDs of the multi-tracks and overnighted them to Eamonn at The Bastille in Washington, DC for our overdub session there next week. Thursday morning, I had a four-hour classical harp demo session, then packed-up for my session and gig out of town tonight. Also Thursday, I played my regualr jazz trio gig in downtown Charlotte. This morning I drove about 2 and a half hours up to Chapel Hill to do some overdubs at Double Decker Bus with Jay Manley (of the band Velvet) for The Public Good record. We (The Public Good) had a gig at Local 506 in CH tonight, which was well-attended (thanks to some great press) and went splendidly! Just got home. Tomorrow, I start tracking for a jazz guitarist from Maryland who's doing a trio record for the next three days. The bass player on this session is terrific and I've recorded him a bunch. The drummer's supposed to be good, too. Should be fun if I can actually get a bit of sleep between now and then.

Next week's when the real busy stuff happens!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:22 am

Tech week and opening for The (edward) Hopper Project, produced by Chicago's WNEP Theatre. The play is a series of vignettes inspired by various Edward Hopper paintings, set in Brooklyn sometime between 1952 and 1959. I did the sound design, which involved creating an immersive cityscape as well as Phillies' diner (pictured in Hopper's "Nighthawks"), a '50s movie theater, and the wholesale slaughter of several pigeons by a bb-gun-wielding spinster.

I also cranked out about 33 radio commercials at the day job.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:27 am

On monday I did a vocal session and some ITB mixing at home for Esquela.
Tues-Wed tracked and overdubbed 2 complete songs at the studio for Chris Barron's new band.
Thursday a little more home ITB mixing on Esquela then Friday tracked 2 songs
for Paul Byrne at the studio with Phil Cimino and Keith Christopher.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:46 am

i spent all week doing construction. same thing i've been doing for months.

*needs a vacation*

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:25 am

Not to be all like "check out my blog", but my week's various recording activities are detailed in the link in my signature. The goal is to write a little summary for each day I am in the studio.

Summary... finished mixing the new Audible EP. Tracked guitar and vocals for the last song on the EP a few nights this week. Received a pair of Axiom M3 v2 monitors as a B'day present, as well as a Holier Grail. Mastering the Audible EP this afternoon.

Also managed to secure my involvement on a few projects starting up this week (additional tracking, mixing), and another that I was involved in earlier (early Fall). Really excited about these coming out because one is being released on Secretly Canadian and the other may be picked up and released by them as well, as they are in talks.

Busy week. Busy is good.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:16 am

Lots of voiceover tracking. And lots of voiceover editing.

I did write a new instrumental on Thursday, which my boy Nick and I are trying to put lyrics to as I type this. It's our first attempt at Nerdcore and it's called "Robot Crime."

Here's a taste:

Mecha Nostra
Kiss the Botfather?s ring
And you best believe he?s built to
Take car of that thing
HAL 9000 ain?t doin nothing
But wasting time tryin to ice astronauts
Instead of real crime

Robot Crime x 8
Prog out with your cog out.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:35 pm

Mastered 5 albums this week:

One by an Artist named RJD2
New album is called "The Colossus"
http://www.rjselectricalconnections.com/index.php

An album from R&B soul singer Mariami
http://www.myspace.com/mariamisound

Sourmash a Southern Rock band out of Texas

Prog Rock Band:
http://www.arthuroffen.com/

Ep from the band Lascivious
out of Cleveland

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:59 pm

I started mixing my record and got just about the last of the tracking done. I've been working on this record for about 6 years. Not these recordings, but this record. The basics were done in an afternoon. I've been adding and subtracting since then. Should be done soon. Links to a few of the initial mixes are here:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... 575#585575
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:13 pm

roscoenyc wrote:Tues-Wed tracked and overdubbed 2 complete songs at the studio for Chris Barron's new band.
What's that like?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:08 pm

cgarges wrote:
roscoenyc wrote:Tues-Wed tracked and overdubbed 2 complete songs at the studio for Chris Barron's new band.
What's that like?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
guy is a very good singer and has damn good band that includes one of my main drummers. It was a blast.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:10 pm

What's the material like?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC